Ladore at 9230 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2016   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ladore at 9230

What's Gates of Ladore like at 9230? Never run it that high. Thanks.

beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
No help on Lodore? It's at 9180 now. Never run it this high. Thoughts. We launch early July. Any predictions of flow then? Looks like it is going down.
beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Flaming Gorge | Water Operations | UC Region | Bureau of Reclamation

Early July, they'll be back down to power plant releases. 4k in a streambed that was crafted with 15k spring floods.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #4

Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Hi beanack,

I'm Karen (Jungle Jane on buzz}. Got 2O yrs pro guiding experience, 15'sb, misc. gear, floaty toys and river guitar.
Also current Wilderness First responder, swiftwater, etc.

Guided for Hatch on Lodore & Yampa through the '9Os. As to your query, 10k is a blast! I'm sure they will ramp it down. they used to give us a high release, and then shut off flow 5OO cfs a day till about 8OO all summer.

If you got room on your Lodore Trip for one with boat, I will name first born after you...
(Also privy to many cool excursions, secret rock art sites, and can bake a topographically accurate dutch oven apple cobbler.
I live near nederland.
TEXT OR LV VOICEMAIL DIRECTLY! please. Computer crashing.

Jungle Jane (karen} 303 642 0823
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #5

Raleigh, North Carolina
Karen,
We have a permit for a launch on Sunday. We'd love to invite you but our trip is full. I'd love to hear any beta you have about Lodore at 9,000. We will have kids with us and want to walk them around Disaster and possibly Hells.
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Southerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #6
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Make sure everyone has their PFD cranked down for the Rapids. Last year a young man met his demise at triplet falls when his got sucked off when he went for a swim.
Old 06-15-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I just got off Lodore yesterday and ran it at 9K. I ran it last year at 2,500cfs, and a few rapids had some must make moves so I was pretty anxious going into this trip since beta was limited. Overall, it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Upper and lower disaster falls seemed pretty straight forward, we scouted upper disaster on the left and ran both upper and lower at once. Lower disaster had a huge hole and rock in the middle but it was easy to skirt around.

Triplet was insanely huge and is not the place for anything to go wrong. That being said it was easy. There are normally rocks that you have to weave around, however it was under water and the line was easy on the left. If you are unfortunate enough to go right than you wont make it out of the canyon...

Hells half mile was impressive but actually easier than it was at lower levels. the rocks at the entrance were under water and we just hit it right down the middle into some huge waves. We had a tiny 7 or 8 foot cat with us that got flipped but then again he flipped 3 times on the trip. None of our rafts had any issues. There are lots of sleeper rocks after the main meat waves that could get you hung up if your not careful.

Whirlpool canyon had the most intense whirlpools, boils and eddies that Ive ever seen, I ended up running one rapid three times bc it kept pulling me back up stream after the rapid. Just really be careful to stay on the main current and try to keep the boat from being pulled and spun in the strange currents.

Split mountain is absolutely awesome at high water. Line up straight at the biggest holes and waves you can hit and just brace for impact, you will be fine. I hit one wave so hard that it filled my boat with water, I had a blast, my girlfriend wasn't as excited...

Overall, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and most of the rapids were straight forward. I imagine that it would be much more difficult at >7K when rocks start showing up again. Either way, it was fun and you shouldn't be worried.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #8

Denver, Colorado
Oh, I forgot to mention that there was a huge tree stuck in the left side of Hells half Mile. It would be a disaster if you hit it. You have to go right after the main entrance rocks and drops. It was easy to see from the scout
Old 06-15-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Also, bug report: Basically no bugs! Amazing! We camped at the Cove on the last night and i got bit a few times but over all nothing to worry about
Old 06-15-2016   #10

Raleigh, North Carolina
This was incredibly helpful! I really appreciate it. One more question...when you scouted Disaster did it seem like there was a spot below the rapid you could pull over to pick up folks who were walking around?
Southerngal is offline   Reply With Quote