Ladore at 9230 - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2016   #31

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Lodore high water

We just got off lodore. Trip report is accurate, everything was fairly straightforward. Disaster was a bit more intimidating and challenging (I thought) then the posts here made it seem. Laterals are coming hard off of the left (also from a split in the river rejoining) right before the lower wave. We got pushed pretty hard to the right towards the huge hole. Skirted the wave fine, but get ready for those laterals. Upper disaster was ok. Just t it up and get ready to move hard left for the Lower wave afterwards (plenty of time though, just watch the laterals) I think it was best to just hit that lower wave Dead on. A few of our cats just skirted it far to the left. As I mentioned earlier, we went slightly right of it. It was fine, but you get a little uncomfortably close to that giant hole.

Hells was awesome - kiss the marker rock on the right and follow the v down the middle! Overall great trip. BRING BUG SPRAY AND NETS!!!!! Spray became a high-demand commodity for our group..

samchapman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016   #32

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Here's the link for the release schedule. Looks like they're ramping down starting tomorrow. Shame since we're on in a couple of weeks. Will still be fun.

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs...entRelease.pdf
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #33

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
samchapman33

We launch on July 1. How were the campsites/beaches? We're a group of 18.
dempses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #34

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempses View Post
samchapman33

We launch on July 1. How were the campsites/beaches? We're a group of 18.
We were a group of 23, 13 boats, and the camp sites were all great. There were still eddies but they were tough to hit - definitely pay attention. Sorry I don't have the names of the camp sites we stayed at, other than echo park, but most of them looked the same as far as eddying out. Again, bring bug spray and nets. The sites inside the canyon weren't too bad with bugs, echo was definitely the worst. They all were drop dead beautiful at least!
samchapman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #35

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Post-Trip

Got off Wed.
All reports were extremely helpful.
Our 3rd Gates run, summary is that the river is just a totally different run/guidebook not applicable. Notes is here much more useful.
We were 3 boats. 14'ers. Youngest 1 9 yr old. Rest teens and older. 14 total.

Upper Disaster:
Part 1
See other reports.

Part 2
We think is being confused as Lower.
Massive pour-over with huge wave downstream left. 2 boats gutted it clean. We snuck along left shore didn't get wet.
Lower: think it's washed out.

Harp:
Previous reports- enjoy the ride.

Hells
2 boats clean down the tongue. I got stalled in top 2 holes. I was erring right due to tree but got too far right. Really sticky.

Triplet:
See other reports

Split Mountain - superb.

Bugs were horrendous.
Pot Creek 1/2 great sites.
Rippling Brook 1/2 great sites.
No beach at many of the sites (triplet etc)
We ended up going RB2 to take out in one day and not even trying due to flows. Skipped bugs at the Cove.

Very grateful for this group and the great reports.
ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #36

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Water dropping fast. Down to 7000 now and will be at summer flows by the 9th. So unfortunately, we missed it, and most info above is no longer relevant for this year unless launching real soon.

Except maybe the bugs. With water levels dropping mosquito hatch could be peaking. Yuk.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #37

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Any bug reports?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #38

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1994
We launched for Gates on June 29th, took off on July 3rd. Bugs were horrendous at the put-in, as bad as anything I've endured. Reminded me of the Everglades. We called the last members of our group who were still in Denver and had them make emergency stops looking for bug headnets, 100% DEET spray, and citronella candles. The mosquitoes got better each day as the trip went on, but my son counted over 100 bites still visible on his body when we got back home...

I think the Green was at 9,200 the day we launched, with the plan to drop 1,000 cfs per day beginning on the 29th. We had big water in the Canyon, but I think the Yampa was only putting in about 2,000 or so by the time we got to the confluence, so the Split Mountain section didn't seem too big (definitely not Grand Canyon-like).

We arrived the day they found the body of the missing rafter. One of the groups that launched the day before us decided to split up, and one 6 year old went on the trip and another family with a 6 year old decided not to go. The group which didn't go let the group take their raft down, which then became lost at Disaster. I think it was found damaged a day or so later and most of that group might have left the river at Echo Park - info was a bit sketchy.
tom f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #39

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I'm fairly sure we saw their flipped boat lodged in the willows on an island upstream of Rippling Brook camps. We saw some bags float by - saved one - and put it out on the beach at RB1. Not sure if anyone grabbed it. I hope everyone was okay! Definitely bringing a gallon of DEET per person next time.
ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #40

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
A!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app