Old 05-02-2014   #1
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Labyrinth Canyon May 27

I am looking at running a 3-4 Day trip down Labyrinth Canyon on the Green the around May 27. Looking for insights on: Water levels, Campsites, Shuttle roads, weather, bugs, Things to see, etc. I have a guidebook and a lot of river experience and I'm looking for peoples personal experiences with this stretch. Also, looking to run with anyone that is interested. Small group at this moment. Not big on the party but certainly bringing suds. Older group that is safe, but still seriously immature. Reply by positing for now.

VernanBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #2
x, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Just got off Labyrinth last week. Contact me by PM and I can probably provide some useful info.

Nugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #3
Calhan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Interested in running it too.
brmidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #4
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Nugs,
I am heading down with 5 other folks from the 12th to 16th.....Is possible to tap your brain for some info on weather the camping is relatively tough at these flows to find and get to? 4 nights on with one being a layover....thanks for any insights,
fattire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We found two great camps, the middle of the 3 right before the Bowknot camp (on the right). Then also one on the left about a mile downstream of 2 mile canyon. If you want to hike 2 mile/windows arch, use the camp about 1/4 or 1/2 mi upstream (on right). We couldn't get to that camp, or the camp at 2 mile in low water. You might be able to get to 2 mile at high water as long as the creek is not running (you'd have to float or walk up it). Other than that, we saw no way through the tammies.

Trin alcove (3 canyon) is a MUST hike, and the camp is up the side stream on the right so float up if you can.

There was one other excellent camp, which we didn't stop at and I'll look in my book later. There were lots of bad and unusable camps, at least at our water level, and with more flow I bet your options open up as you probably won't be at the bottom of 6-10' mud/tammy banks. Still, sometimes we couldn't see how you'd get through the tammies even at higher water. But this was often as we floated by, so take it with a grain of salt.

Both of the guidebooks we had were of limited use for camping. I wouldn't bother floating from Green, go from Ruby. It is more expensive than the guidebooks said but I don't recall exactly how much. Ruby is also not closed off on Sundays, like one book stated.

Have fun, it is gorgeous!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote