Old 07-10-2013   #1
rockingham, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1977
July floats in CO, WY, MT, and UT.

Hey folks, Finally getting the big cat (that so many on this site helped me build) out west. Had planned a 3 generation hike and fish with my 13 and 24 year old kids and my Dad. But renting a vehicle was gonna be way expensive. So my dad is driving my crew cab truck and since he is we decided to bring the Cat. So, here is the question........

Coming to the Rockies for 10 days (july 16-26). Where would you guys and gals float with a big cat set up to fish? Day floats to fly fish will be our focus. Trying to squeeze in as many river days as possible. Have eastern Class III experience. Had planned for to sure to float the Colorado near Glenwood and possibly the Roaring Fork. Def. wanna float the Green in Utah, and the Bighorn in southern MT. WY is wide open with a suggestion to float the N Platte (Grey Reef). We will be camping and traveling river to river.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Joe.

twoatlow8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
South Fork of the Snake, which is technically in Idaho, and is generally done as an overnight float, should be on your list.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #3
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Good choices

Good for you ! G-Wood/Roaring fork all the way down to Rifle is great fishing and a fun, Not very aggressive float.
Also, The " Upper C " ( Colorado river ), Pump House to to State Bridge ( Class II+) is a beautiful float with good fishing, Natural hot springs right on the river, And river camping stations if you would like to stay a night on the river. If not, There is plenty of camping in that area.
That's my 2 cents anyhow. Good luck, Be safe, and have fun !
Raftpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #4
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Late July a lot of stuff dry up. Check out the A&B sections on the Green below Flaming Gorge. Class 2 stuff, but great fishing.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam is world class fishing, Massive Trout! There are a few put in/take out options, no permit required, it's beautiful, and could be done as an over nighter too...
Have Fun out West!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #6
St. Anthony, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000

Originally Posted by Paddle Iraq View Post
South Fork of the Snake, which is technically in Idaho, and is generally done as an overnight float, should be on your list.
Just watch out for the Bigfeeder diversion canal. It's a little below the Byington boat ramp near Heise Hot Springs. River turns sharp right and 90% of the current goes into the canal. Can be avoided but the consequences are large.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #7
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
If you can get permits (shouldn't be too tough) and want to do a multiday trip look into Desolation Canyon (~5 days), Westwater (~2 days), Cataract Canyon (~4-5 days, need a motor, can do it faster or slower). All will still be flowing (but low).

If you're looking for just daily stuff and are in Southern Utah you can check out the Moab daily (could even do an over-nighter here) and/or the Green River daily. Both have great scenery and mellow rapids. If you have specific questions about any of these feel free to ask.
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #8
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
You want to float the Yellowstone putting in at Gardiner. I'm don't fish but I hear it's good. Very scenic, great bird watching. Fantastic beach camping or public pay camping if you want to use the car.

Other options in the greater SW Montana area... Big Hole, Clark Fork of the Columbia, Henry's Fork of the Snake, Missouri, Madison. I'd pick MT over Colorado or Wyoming for float fishing options.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #9
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
Madison River west of Yellowstone is world class trout fishing, easy to float and great scenery.

montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote