I just got a permit for Lodore October 27th through 31st...wanna come? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 09-28-2016   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I just got a permit for Lodore October 27th through 31st...wanna come?

Hello All,

So I just booked a Gates of Lodore permit for October 27th through 31st. I did it mid November last year and it was a bit cold but still a ton of fun. You get the canyon to just your group since there is only one launch per day. I have some group gear and can borrow it from friends if I don't have it, but I'd love to get at least a few more rafts on the trip. I'm totally cool with having as many people as want to come along, so let me know if you are interested.

As long as there are a decent number of rafts to carry gear, I'm cool with Kayakers and IK people as long as they have a good roll and/or good self rescue.

Cost wise, it'll be equal share of the $200 permit fee, Food and Shuttle costs. You'll need to get yourself there on your own dime too. BYO on booze as well.

Plan is to put on before noon on the 27th, camp at Pot Creek or Kolb first night, Limestone or Wild Mountain Second Night, one of the Jones Hole camps 3rd night and either layover day 4 or camp at the Cove on day 4 and takeout on the 31st depending on how people feel. Those are super easy days, which works since the days are pretty short.

Post up here or shoot me a PM if you are interested. I literally just booked it without getting anyone on board, so hopefully we can get some people going.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Really? No response at all?

Its gonna be awesome either way but the more the merrier.

Tree's should still be changing and last year we saw a huge herd of Elk in Rainbow Park. Awesome camping and you have the whole canyon to yourself. Ya'll should definitely come.
Old 09-30-2016   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks for putting it out there. I'd love to do a late fall Ladore. Are the flows supposed to continue as they are?
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
I thought it was gonna stay in the 2000's or so, but they are supposed to be tapering down to an average of 1300 cfs over the next few weeks. The flow schedule says a low of ~800 and a high of ~2500 cfs each day. It sits around 1400-1500 cfs for most of the day though, so still plenty of water to get rafts down.

The schedule only goes to October 10th, but the website says it will be at the 1300 cfs average through October and November.

Here is the website if you want to check it out: Flaming Gorge | Water Operations | UC Region | Bureau of Reclamation

All are welcome but its cool to know what you have to bring to the table boat and gear wise.
Old 09-30-2016   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Really? No response at all?
Its gonna be awesome either way but the more the merrier.
Tree's should still be changing and last year we saw a huge herd of Elk in Rainbow Park. Awesome camping and you have the whole canyon to yourself. Ya'll should definitely come.
I'm there, amigo. Last year's trip was great!
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
I'm there, amigo. Last year's trip was great!
It'll be great to have do another trip with you.

I've had a few people show interest via PM, so the trip is filling up a bit but still has plenty of room. Sounds like Brian is for sure with his 14' Tributary raft and I have a 90% sure friend who has a 14' Sotar. I'll probably take my 12' Hyside I picked up recently, but might take my 16' Avon Pro. If everyone who has shown interest goes it will be 5 rafts and 7 people (I have two friends that are maybe's that would ride with me). Still lots of room.

I've also been thinking about doing a Westwater trip right before this too to get the most river mileage possible for the drive time. I'd get the permit for the 25th and do an overnight, then take off and drive to the Lodore put in (about 4 hours). We might see about dropping a vehicle off at the takeout since its not too far out of the way as well and would save on shuttle costs.
Old 10-11-2016   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Bumping this thread again to see if I can get any more interest. This was an awesome trip last year and should be fun again this year.

I'm also gonna get a Westwater permit for the 25th and we'll be camping overnight and then driving up to Lodore afterwards. Should be fun and make the drive to the Western Slope more worth it.

Anyone and everyone is welcome. No matter what the weather brings its a great time and worth getting in that last trip of the year before the snow comes.
Old 10-17-2016   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Bump one more time to see if somone is interested. 10 days till Launch at Lodore (8 till Westwater).

Looks like its gonna be sunny and nice and its a great time of year to hit it.

You should totally come along.

Josh