Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 06-12-2016   #11
Paddling Since: 1994
Andy, when you comin down.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
It would be a risk that is unlikely worth it for sure.

I am mostly saying the one trip a year thing is BS. Id be happy with them limiting it to one high use permit a year. I think the the two week option is great, that makes more sense. I dont like the man controlling who I can invite on my trips. They give me 25 spots, let me invite who I want. I have a hard time believing that it lessens the impact on the canyon if I bring uncle joe instead of my boater friend who already went on someone elses trip. Probably quite the opposite. If it is an opportunity thing, I am not going to invite someone just because they haven't been and I need to fill a spot.

I am launching on the 1st and hope the water is still up. Ive never seen Lodore over 1200. Permit is full or I'd throw you an invite. Oh wait, you couldnt go anyway.
I thought it WAS one high use trip per year and unrestricted during low use season?

I agree, I think there are enough trips that don't fill up to justify letting people go on multiple trips. I've seen enough trips with 4-6 people on them to make up for a trip with 16-20 and a few of them be multiple users.

I guess I also see why you would restrict it too...if anyone could go multiple times then it would keep people who didn't get a chance to go off the river. Its easy to say that they are just adding you on to an existing trip, but if each person on that trip got their own permit throughout the season and invited each other then it would be a bit unfair. Double edged sword for sure.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #13
Paddling Since: 1994
If people are inviting who they want on their permits, who would it keep off the river?

If the stars aligned, hell froze over and that many people that wanted to boat together all (or even multiple) got permits, I would be even more pissed about the rule. For instance I have been putting in for the Yampa for 15+years, not one permit. I haven't done a dino trip in a few years. If I draw next year and another good friend who has been putting in for specific lodore dates for 10 years draws we couldn't go on each others trips. Total bullshit! We may never draw another dino permit.

If you have enough friends drawing permits and that much vacation time that you can really make an impact on the user days of the masses, you have a hell of a boating circle and a great job or lack there of, congratulations. If you never get invited on trips you should probably make some boating friends. Chances are you didnt get left out because a two timer took your spot. And if you did, its because the TL wants them there instead and its their permit.

Permits are rare enough to come by that restricting the permit holders guest list is just outrageous to me. Look at the middlefork, one of the most well managed high use rivers out there. There are no restrictions on trips per year and yet permits go unfilled. Lots of small trips up there because people are bringing who they want to boat with. Every permit would not be filled regardless of trips per year. There aren't that many people who would do multiple trips per year but the ones who can actually pull it off shouldnt be denied. I know plenty of people who have risked it and gone under a fake name. Why make someone a criminal for inviting someone or getting invited on a trip that was won in a lottery.

Regulate the permits, regulate the number of people I can bring and regulate how long I can stay, but goddamn it, let me bring who I want on the permit I won and paid for.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016   #14
cedar city, Utah
It only limits you to one high use trip a year. Low-use is still open to multiple trips a year. Seems a fair compromise considering the high demand for that section of river.

We just wrapped up our first Yampa trip and I have to say it was a pleasant experience all-around from a management perspective. Easiest check-in I have ever had at a put-in. Rarely saw other parties until the last 2 days. Clean camps. Can't ask for much more.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote