Mountain Buzz banner

How low is too low for a raft on Smith River?

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  spider 
#1 ·
Have a launch for the Smith River this coming Tuesday and the water level is currently 163 CFS. We have a 14 ft hyside and a 16 foot aire, are we screwed?

#6 ·
What might be the bigger issue is the weather. Snow Tuesday and cold nights in the 20's. We bagged a trip a week ago due to same stuff. I don't like dragging my boat in the snow.

#7 ·
Just got off the Smith yesterday. Put in Thursday at about 120 cfs. First 5 miles were okay, but miles 5-12 to our first camp were brutal. Probably dragging/pushing 100 times or more in that stretch. 14ft boat, pretty good gear pile...not so fun. Warm weather and some feeder creeks definitely helped reduce the dragging days 2-4 as flows prob hit 160 or so at Eagle Cr. yesterday.

#9 ·
Low water better than high. I went a few years ago when the epic flood hit. I took out at over 6000 cfs. Not as much fun, no fishing, but I can see the attraction of the float. Hope to do it again sometime at normal flowsl We did have the river to ourselves....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.