Old 12-17-2013   #11
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Ive taken wheels down the forks trail a few times.
Used the C-Tug. Dont tell anyone.

C-Tug Boat Cart with Solid Kiwi Wheels at

The oars helped quite a bit. Having only paddles to rig was hard to make stable Wheelbarrel handles. Two trips we had oars one was paddle boat. We always did light one day jams. Also some pre-rigging to the C-Tug would have helped stabalize it as the thing is designed to hug the boat. Making that more stable would be helpful. The idea with the C-Tug is just one trip. So you take the thing with you.

Have also carried it down stretcher style. Two trips starting at 6am. Then do the whole 18 miles in one day. Brutal.

If you havnt seen the Ferral Cat DVD its pretty hilarious to watch them try to take a wide cat frame down the forks trail.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #12
frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Have the mules carry your stuff to the Kern. It seems like a lot of money until you carry your gear down yourself. When I was a guide there we often carried our gear in for private trips but we had to be too minimalistic for my tastes and would run it in 1 or 2 days. I would take 4 days if I were going, the first day camp at the island between the Kern and the little Kern.
There are many great camps and side hikes that get overlooked because of the quality of the rapids. I don't think the trail is wide enough in some spots to wheel a cat frame horizontally even if it was legal, but I don't think any rangers read this crap. I do know that you need a break down frame if you want a mule to carry it.
Hauling your gear to the put in is one of those classic things that seems like it wont be that bad that boaters often do in spite of sage advice. I would compare it to doing your own shuttle on the Deso, rowing out of Cat, taking the center line at Lava, not bringing beer because of weight, etc. either way you will have fun.

full yellow life jacket
bob larrabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #13
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
we put the bike fork up front in the center of the footbar, and run the oars back so you can use them like wheelbarrow handles; roll up the tubes and put one on each side about mid-frame. The key is to get it well balance, and try to keep the weight in the center. Also key is having a bullet proof way of connecting the bike fork to the maybe u-bolts. And take your time, let gravity do as much of the work as possible. We never rigged hand brakes, but that Giant Gap trail could really use them. Hiking back out to launch the next day is a great option, but you'll be using muscles you normally dont use, and I had some major cramping issues one time that almost made me reconsider launching. Watch your electolytes and power down some whey protein when you're done with the work.

I'll post a pic if I can.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	211
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	7467  
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #14
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
That is some fine work Ted.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #15
Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Thank you !! to all who have posted info on this thread especially BioCatr and Studytime the pics are great, just what I was hoping to see. Will be hard work but the runs we are talking about are sweet. Have carried in paddle boats on Upper Kings, Giant Gap and Forks so I have a rough idea of what I am in for, but we took paddle boats on those trips so the frames on the cats will be harder to deal with. Also, less people to help carry. Probably will be 2 guys and 2 cats, so more effort. After all the hard work the plan would be to stay awhile. Looks like a ton of cool stuff to do on the Kern, think I would stay at least 2 nights. Can you hike into the Tea Cups on Dry Creek?
I also agree with Bob when it comes to effort, comfort and time but I dig my cataraft. It lets me get away with allot on the water, I need that in my middle age. The frame does not break down so have to find a way to lug it down to put-in. Thought about using the mules for the tubes and carry the frames. Think the mules can carry 80 bs?
How about an ultra-light cat? 10-11 ft. tubes w/ a break down titanium frame?
Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #16
Boulder, Colorado
you should be able to hike up Dry Meadow. The bottom is a portage around a series of waterfalls culminating in one last runnable drop into the Kern. The portage trail was steep, but you wouldn't have a kayak to carry.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #17
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
consider the frameless cats for hiking in.

Our Culebra Frameless catarafts are great for hiking in because they can be used with or withour a frame.

Consider using our frameless cataraft either with or without an oar frame and oars. the boat weighs 52 lbs with out cargo slings, and about 60 with cargo slings. It is perfect for many small and large wilderness rivers. Here is a picture of Todd Kelsey hiking in to a river in Alaska a few years ago.

raad more about Todd kelsey's adventures

The boat can seperate into pieces, and you can easily take it as luggage on an airplane. We have customers in many parts of the worrld who use them this way.

We even have one customer that had us customeize a Culebra so that he could use it with short take off and landing aircraft.

there are many variations on this theme, and you can see them all at this web site.

Thanks for having a look.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've always wondered about using these or something similar on a shredder/paddlecat:

These oar towers are from Soar - they're about 3/4 of the way down the page: SOAR Inflatables - Accessories for Inflatable Canoes and Kayaks from Somewhere On A River

You'd need a seat - inflatable would be ideal for weight savings. And maybe some Sawyer SST breakdown oars?

A shredder weighs ~46 lbs, add 10 for the oar towers and oar locks, maybe 15 for the oars, and say 5 for an inflatable seat? 75 lbs total would be packable.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #19
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
frames for culebra

We have sold these NRS frames as an add on to the culebra. You can order them direct from NRS if you want. But the point here is this is a raft type frame real simple. and does not cost very much. I also included a diagram about using 8 ft or 8.5 ft oars. The photo here was on Desolation canyon where I did self support. It was september, and most if not all of the Green River UT mellons I brought were consumed by then.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #20
frisco, Colorado
this is how you do it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbw on a mule.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	7485  

full yellow life jacket