Mountain Buzz banner

Hanging Flume

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  steven 
#1 ·
Looking for beta on the Hanging Flume section of the Dolores.
I just want to do a day trip, it looks like the take-out is @ mile 113 on the old school DRG. Trailer friendly?
I'm assuming that the put-in is above the confluence on the Miguel. How far up? From the confluence to the take-out is only 5mi. so, I'd like to put in as far up the Miguel as possible. Ideally trailer friendly.
Thanks for any help.
SYOTR

#2 ·
We are coming up with two possible put ins. Boat ramp in downtown Natarita or at "the ball field" near Uravan. The BLM ranger in Montrose said there's mostly private land elsewhere. He said the ball field is visible and obvious from the highway, I think he said its upstream of where the Y-11 road heads downriver at Uravan, and that this is about 8 river miles above the confluence. No camping from Natarita all the way to the confluence pretty much, definitely none above the ball field, and you can camp at the ball field supposedly. I think its a really long day from Natarita to your take out.

#3 ·
Thanks Afraid. Kinda funny having someone from from so far away provide beta on my local river but, I'll take it.
Don't know what or when your crew is putting on but, the Norwood canyon section of the Miguel is beautiful. Can be done in a day or as an overnight. Look for flows over 700cfs (maybe a short window this year). Fast and tight but not as bad as Wayward Boatman would have you believe ;)

#4 ·
A few nuggets for you.

> The Montrose BLM office is very knowledgeable and helpful about this section, so use them as needed.

> The access point at mile 113 is a kind of natural sloping rock ledge, just downstream of the bridge (bridge is not on the highway, but a side road to the left). You can get a trailer to the water's edge, but there's no eddy. Launching there would be pretty simple (just dump it in and tie it to the trailer), but taking out might be a little trickier - but doable. Scout it before you launch. Leaving a vehicle there would be at your own risk.

> The Ballfield is a good spot where you can get a trailer to the water. Not much of an eddy, but good tie-offs. If you look on google earth, it's pretty easy to see the access point at the ballfield, but if you drive there blind, it'll only take you 5 minutes to find it.

> The launch at the confluence is AT the confluence on Y-11 road, accessed either from Bedrock or the old mill site at Uravan. The ramp can be sloppy and muddy at flows above 1500 or if the Dolores is running (which it's not).

> I've never used the launch site in Naturita, but I've heard it's pretty good. Don't know about parking.

Good luck!

#7 ·
The Ballfield is about 2 miles upstream of the old mill site. It is between hwy 141 and the river, just below a bridge crossing. It is on river right. It is also just downstream of a junction of Y-11 and 141, but Y-11 also meets 141 above the old mill site. Another reference point is that almost right across from the Ballfield is the junction of V-19 rd and hwy 141. And when you're driving on 141, there's a 4x8 white plywood sign that says "The Ballfield" and a big flagpole - it's a county park. And it's 2 miles up from the old Uravan mill site.

#9 ·
yo scotty-

"ballfields" to take out is 11 miles. great obvious put-in spot w/ picnic tables and port-a-potty, easy bikeable shuttle, but you will need some help getting your boat out at the takeout. have left car there numerous times with no issues. would think current flows would be on low side, thus techy through some spots above the confluence. upper D rico to dolores going great right now as i'm sure you know. hope to syotr soon-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.