Old 01-23-2015   #1
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Gunnison River to Pleasure Park BETA??

Hey all,

Went and fished the gunny the past 2 days and am curious about the jet boat service Pleasure Park offers...

Ive got a 13ft RMR with a DRE San Juan- no floors. Would really like to float that river as it has blown my mind every time ive fished it. Twice for the salmon fly hatch hiking down Bobcat and these last couple days hiking up to "The Wall" from South river road across from PP.

Has anyone ever done this? How far can they take you? What is the water like between where they can drop you off and Pleasure park?

I like to think I am a fairly decent oarsman but definitely dont want to get into any trouble in there. Upper C from Pumphosue down to 2 bridges, Lower Blue, South canyon to silt, Roaring fork around carbondale is about all Ive done.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated....

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I assume your referring to the Gunnison Gorge? Its a beautiful class 3 stretch that has excellent fishing and a gnarly shuttle road capped with a long steep hike to the river. Whitewater tops out at 3+/4- at high water, 3/3+ at normal flows.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015   #3
speonk, California
Paddling Since: 1988
the jet boat will take you to the smith fork. its a 4 mile flat float. ive been fishing that canyon for 15 years good winter spot for sure.
chuckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
The water between Pleasure Park and Smith Fork is pretty mild. I can't remember any significant white water. My experience has been lots of smaller fish in that stretch - like a 50 fish day, but I've never caught anything over 18 inches. Up in the Gorge as you know are some of the biggest fish in the State and not as finicky. Personally I'd skip the jet boat and hike in the upper Gorge.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
Posts: 63 inlaws are in Edwards/VailValley and I am up there about half the weekends...I have done Gorge floats several times....I you want to talk/phone or grab a beer sometime to discuss/look at maps I would be happy to...I am always looking for folks to float/fish with...I keep my raft up there.....Chet 720-271-5887 (C)
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #6
Montrose, Colorado
Stevo -- the Gunnison River Pleasure Park has a commercial jet boat service that is permitted through the BLM. They take you as far as the Smith Fork. There's a reasonable beach there where they drop you and your boat. Then it's a pretty easy float with just a few riffles and rocks that are easily avoided. The fishing can be quite good, and the folks at the Pleasure Park can help you get set up with the right flies.
efranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #7
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014

Let me know next time youre coming out CROE.

Thanks all.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #8
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Call Al DeGrange 872-3232 at the Pleasure Park
Al owns Gunnison River Expeditions

Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote