Old 05-05-2014   #1
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Gunni Gorge logistics

My buddy and I are looking to go get on the Gunni Gorge next week and we're wondering if someone who's had a run or two through could give us a few pointers. Mostly in terms of shuttling, I've heard there might be some kind of operation out there that will do shuttles, but also suggestions on what kind of gear to bring.

jeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #2
Ridgway, Colorado
Check with the guys at Pleasure Park, you meet them there and they will drive you to the put-in, then drive your car [4WD] back to the used to be $80/car

jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #3
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
cool, thanks for the info!
jeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Pleasure Park guys are a good option for help with the shuttle. Higher clearance 4WD is best for the Chuckar Road. You have to hike down the Chuckar trail with your gear, and you won't want to make laps on it. I've carried a playboat and gear and wouldn't recommend taking a bigger boat down for these flows. Taking a small filter can keep you from needing to haul a bunch of water down. Rumor has it they may flush the Gorge soon, so keep an eye on the flows.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #5
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Epic shuttle

At hight water the shuttle for that run is longer than the run its self. Access to the put in is 4WD and then you haft to hike or pack mule every thing down. If the weather is rainy and the road is wet it is impassable. period. you will not get your vehicle out of there on wet mancos shale which makes the up road bed attempts will result in damage.

I would eco talking to the folks at the Pleasure Park and consider using them for shuttle. Better let their rig take the abuse than yours. That said, when the road is dry it is your pretty standard high clearance 4wd road. Good luck with your trip.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #6
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Just would like to confirm everything buckman just said and more. I live 6 miles from Falcon Rd. the turn off to get to Chukar trail, and I have only done the gorge once in the past 6 years. The hike down is not extreme but very tiring when carrying about 60 lbs.of gear, and it is almost 1.5 miles. Be very cautious of the weather, you do not want to be in the gorge during a thunderstorm, just make sure weather is great. The canyon itself is fantastic and should be done as an overnight trip, because the last 4miles out is a flat river paddle. The gunny gorge is one of those trips that would be great with lots of people and take your time. Nice side-hikes along the way. Watch the weather channel before you go!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #7
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've run Gunnison Gorge a few times and will be again in mid June. Use a guy name Frank to pack your equipment down. I saw his number on other postings. He has limits on the size of coolers and other big items. We usually pack a bit light and carry a few items to save money on the horses. We usually filter water from the river. The gorge is pack it all out and no fires. The rapids are tricky in places. Boulder Garden, The Squeeze and Cable. If the level is below 500 CFS it is very difficult for a raft and routes are minimal. You must reserve campsites when you arrive, first come, luckily most sites are good. Most of the rafts you will see are smaller, fishing type crafts, 12-13'. I manage to get my 14' through. Most boaters seem to be fishing. I hire a shuttle from Pleasure park and they have been reliable, I pick up the driver at Pleasure Park and take him with me to the put in. The shuttle driver has my vehicle waiting for me at the end.
VernanBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #8
Ridgway, Colorado
If you get a shuttle from the pleasure park, they still use your truck, so dont think your rig will be exempt from the Chukar Road abuse. It is in pretty good shape this year so don't worry about it too much. Most of the time the weather cooperates for getting into the trail head. Also the Gorge is runable in a normal sized 14 foot raft down to 250 cfs. It can be a little tricky in a few spots but still runable. Flows are expected to come up starting tomorrow and will remain so into July. For more questions and details call the BLM River Office in Montrose at (970)-240-5312.

rmathis27 is offline   Reply With Quote