Mountain Buzz banner

Guni through Delta

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mrdecember 
#1 ·
One last time.
I've heard a rumor that there's been a boat slide installed at the diversion dam upstream from Delta.
Does this mean that we've got a clean run on the Gunnison from Chuckar to GJ?
I've run most of this and realize that it's not anyones dream trip but, I'd like to think that the option existed.

#5 ·
That dam has been fine for years. It's the dam down stream from Hwy65 that I was referring to.
I agree that floating through Delta has little appeal but, I can also dream of future where there's a sleepy little bar, on the river, in the cottonwoods where I can moor up and grab a cold one on my way to Escalante...

#6 ·
Clear

You can float from the Gorge to Delta and beyond as there is a boat passage to the left of the old dam below Hwy 65. I agree that floating from Pleasure Park down is not worth your time as the scenery is below average and the fishing is poor.

#8 ·
Confirming what Fourtyfloater said. The diversion dam below the Austin bridge and above Delta can be run river left. It is the most interesting part of that section of river, but at this level why not go for the cruise?

Bridges may be a concern at this high water level. I saw a picture of the Hwy 50 bridge in Delta, and it looked tight for a raft. You might want to check it out on the way up, and keep an eye out downstream around other bridges.

I ran Paonia to Pleasure Park last week at 1400. No real issues. Maybe 5 hours of actual float time. A bit boney, but no hangups. Usual run that keeps you on your oars to stay off the banks. Ledges is the only real interesting water. Below Pleasure Park should be fun cruising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.