Group Gear & Finances - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Group Gear & Finances

I know this has come up many times before but hey - I'm off the river and what better time to create a contentious discussion

Seriously - I'm looking for someone who has actually come up with a system for sharing expenses of group gear among a trip.

Specifically when you have some folks that provide group gear, some that don't, some that have group gear but the TL decided not to select all of theirs. (eg. I like this groover better even though you have one)

So - buzzards - what system have you come up with if any?

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Some people bring things, some people don't. Food and permit and maybe shuttle costs get split up at the end of the trip and everyone has a great time and goes home happy. There will be trips when you don't need to bring anything, others when you bring a bunch of your stuff.

Don't overthink it.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Some people bring things, some people don't. Food and permit and maybe shuttle costs get split up at the end of the trip and everyone has a great time and goes home happy. There will be trips when you don't need to bring anything, others when you bring a bunch of your stuff.

Don't overthink it.

-AH
Okay - let's just say an overwhelming majority of your trips you bring the group gear or a select few of the group bring the group gear.

I'm actually interested more in people that have created an approach to this rather than just "not overthinking it"
Old 08-05-2016   #4

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sent your post to a recent TL who was quite detailed in his planning. Not sure if he's on MB. With his permission, I'll share his spreadsheet next week if he doesn't chime in.
Old 08-05-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
Okay - let's just say an overwhelming majority of your trips you bring the group gear or a select few of the group bring the group gear.
If it happens all the time and with the same people, it sounds like it's time for some folks to step up and get some gear. Another option, if you feel like you're disproportionately bringing more than your share every time you go on trips, would be to tell the members of the group you're bringing certain items and don't volunteer anything more. If they're reasonable people and committed to being on the river, they should understand and be ready to go out and get that firepan, groover, etc. Lots of group gear can be rented, it shouldn't fall on one person to bring it all, all the time.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
I pretty much agree with Andy EXCEPT on really big trips like the Grand. Where it gets interesting is when some people rent boats and some people bring their own. My first GC trip I treated boat rental as a group expense but gave boat owners a credit = 50% of the boat rental for wear and tear. I almost always supply a lot or most of the gear on multiday trips, simply because I have it. Doesn't really wear out and I don't want compensated for it. I bought it to use and happy to share. We do usually treat group gear losses as a group expense and re-imburse the person. If your really wanting to account for group gear just use the spreadsheet (I have one also) and give the provider a credit (usually a percentage of rental cost) and it all works out. Had one person who didn't want to pay their share of group food because they were vegan. Easy solution bring and prepare your own food
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #7

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
By "group gear" expenses are you talking more disposable gear? Like toilet paper, propane, soap, bleach etc etc...? I usually leave this up to TL and I am happy to pay, because I'm happy to be on a trip. How would you split costs of a firepan for example? I can see sharing cost of groover clean outs, or enzyme for the groovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
I don't charge people to ride on my raft or poop in my groover.
case_seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by case_seth View Post
I don't charge people to ride on my raft or poop in my groover.

Nobody said anything about charging to ride in a raft, or shit in a groover. The groover supplies were just mere suggestions to the topic. You do clean your groover inside and out right? Do you pay for those products?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #10

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
If your are talking like food, garbage bags, TP, soap, tinfoil etc. I can see that going into the group expense column.

If you are just talking about your gear, I have never heard of folks getting money to bring group gear. I would never expect it or ask for cash to bring any of my group gear. I could not even fathom any of my boater friends asking for such either.

I think you have to define more what you are talking about by "group gear", disposable/use able stuff or hard gear like the kitchen, groover, fire pan, tarp, etc.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote