Group Gear & Finances - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2016   #41

Portland, Oregon
I run trips with owned boats and rentals --- I take total cost and divide by # of people.

I do not tolerate people bitching about cost or complaining that they don't drink beer. If I buy it for the trip you are goddam going to pay for your share whether you use it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016   #42

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I see your point about beer and other consumables but with that said, if you ask me to pay for some else's rental raft when I have spent thousands to purchase and outfit my own boat. It would not go over well with me at all. If that means I am not invited on your trip then you are not a person I care to raft with anyway.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #43

Portland, Oregon
I get that perspective Rick...

How does the saying go --- a fool and his money soon part? I spend my cash on rafting gear because I am a gearhead, like to always improve on the previous season and enjoy finding the coolest / most useful sh*t on the river. I don't factor my investment into the equation because I see it as a sunk cost and I too am the guy who has the Boat, Cat, IK and 95% of the gear it takes to run a multi-day trip.

That being said, I would probably change my tune if it were a 20 day trip on the Grand and 10 people had to pony up for full meal deals and all I was looking at was food and getting my sorry ass down to Lee's Ferry.

I don't think there is a wrong answer here, just many different ways to skin the cat. Either way the dollars gets sliced it is a hell of a way to spend your days.
Old 09-15-2016   #44

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
My wife and I have been in the funding predicament for quite a while. We are the outfitter for most of our family because they are too broke. We grin and bear the cost because we want them to see how wonderful the river can be.

On the other hand, we have friends that seem to be put out when it comes time to pitch in on costs or efforts when prepping for a trip. We have had people miss our pretrip meeting and show no interest in the planning stage. We tend to be the ones that put most the effort with vehicles and equipment.

We are always looking for mellow people that hold their own with regards to money, equipment and vehicles. When people get way too into the money thing, we tend to shy away. We like to take turns providing and cooking meals. We check with everybody in the group to see if our meal(s) work. Likewise, everybody else checks in to make sure their meals are compatible. Each person is responsible with bringing any associated condiments to provide their meal. Drinks are personal and never communal. Of course you can share one or two with your buddy if they run out, but your not required to. The only communal things we use are the tables, stove and propane and sometimes groover.

I took a river rookie on his very first rafting trip down Cat at 48,000 this year. He volunteered to cook breakfast every day because he was such a morning person. It worked out beautifully. He also kept the raft from flipping in Bd2 with a hefty hyside move!

When people get super sketchy about money, it usually points out bigger issues. I have been down rivers with people that are super broke and couldn't get off the river fast enough to get to work.

If everybody is mellow, involved, and communicative in the planning stage, it usually goes good. Not always though, there may be Mr. Hyde lurking only to surface a day or so down. That cost me a car rental one time.

As mentioned, my wife and I are always looking for river buddies that want to have a relaxing time without kids on the river. Hopefully I get a permit to something cool next season and will open up a few spots.

On a funny note, I have one buddy that claims to be a "minimalist" and really enjoys cars that get great gas mileage. These vehicles only help to shuttle people from the take out, nothing more. He had a Nissan Juke and enjoyed his mileage while I enjoyed my truck, trailer, and equipment mileage. I decided he was going to haul one of my 200+ snout tubes. I rolled the thing into the back of the car and the car sunk to the wheel wells. Not much hauling capability in those things. Anyhow, I enjoy getting a little better gas mileage while he enjoyed getting a little less. I find it funny when people like to being their car that gets 30 mpg as long as you haul their gear in your truck that gets 14 mpg.

tda
slc, ut
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016   #45

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Tanderson - my wife and I are in a similar situation. I am a gear junkie with too many hobbies. A raft is our newest toy. My wife calls us DINKS (dual income no kids) so financially we are in a better situation than most of our friends and usually cover some of those costs others would split up between the group and take care of the shuttle because it is my truck, trailor, and raft. I just don't like being told I have too. We are also a mellow couple in our thirties looking for serious rafting friends. By serious I mean people who invests in their hobby by purchasing gear and getting some training like swift water rescue and some medical training. I will also be putting in for many permits next season so let's hope we can draw some cool trips.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016   #46

Portland, Oregon
DINK --- the good old days

I am just counting the days until my 5-year old is capable of going rafting.

In the mean time I am going to purchase an oar-boat without telling wifey so she can learn. Bad idea --- probably!

Old 09-16-2016   #47

Salt Lake City, Utah
The PBX Duck just made my morning with his comment about buying a boat behind the wifes back. Yep, we're Dinks. Always will be. Coming from a kid populated state, I though I would do my part by not having any!

I'm selling an Aire Cougar in October (need to take it on a fishing trip) and an old 18 foot bucket boat if you are interested.

tda
Old 09-16-2016   #48

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Duck View Post
DINK --- the good old days

I am just counting the days until my 5-year old is capable of going rafting.

In the mean time I am going to purchase an oar-boat without telling wifey so she can learn. Bad idea --- probably!

Why wait? By 5 my kids already had several multi days... nothing very difficult but many days none-the-less. Don't wait too long, it'll only get more difficult.
Old 09-16-2016   #49

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Let's try this again and make the numbers closer to realistic.

Trip one-
10 people on a trip
5 boats rented
$100 per boat per day for 10 days =$5,000
10/$5,000=$500 dollars per person without boats and $10,500 for me.

Trip two
I show up with my own raft and don't share in the rental cost of the other boats.

9 people without boats on the trip
4 rafts rented
$100 per boat per day for 10 days=$4,000
9/$4000=$445 per non boat owning person and $10,000 for me.

PDX Duck, wish you had your name on your profile. I doubt given our proximity to each other that our rafting community are to far removed. I don't know how to Goose Step so I don't think I would fit in on a trip you were on.
Charity is a great thing but it's not charity if it is mandatory. I am happy to take people down the river on my raft but I am not going to rent them one. I have actually donated my time as a guide numerous time at charity fundraising auction for private and public schools.

I like the previous comparison to ski rentals and to further that analogy, if I have a season pass and you don't that does not mean I am going to pay for half your pass so you can go skiing.

Electric-Mayhem

No that has never happened. So far my river Karma is solid. 😊

Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016   #50

Salt Lake City, Utah
One vote for Trejos,

I completely support boaters with their own gear not having to pay for the rentals of others. I have paid a ton on floating and will not pay for others floating equipment. If we need one big cargo hauler, then perhaps I might may an exception. Everybody should come to a trip with either the equipment of the money for the equipment.

One thing that we do on trips where people get to ride on boats, is that the riders get to do the shuttle while the owners rig, relax, and sip a few down.

Tda