Group Gear & Finances - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2016   #11

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa9543 View Post
Nobody said anything about charging to ride in a raft, or shit in a groover. The groover supplies were just mere suggestions to the topic. You do clean your groover inside and out right? Do you pay for those products?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

I haven't asked anyone to chip in for a bottle of bleach.

case_seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #12

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Spread it around, if you're bringing more than your fair share of group gear have someone else in the group carry it on their boat.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #13
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I am not sure I get what you are asking either. I always bring the kitchen and a few things always get trashed but I always add a few things when shopping that go into group expenses. A spatula, a couple long lighters, a couple of plastic bins and such. If any personal gear being used for group purposes gets broken or trashed the group gets to buy that.

We once had a kayak that didn't get tied back on after the groover dump and the trip (group expense) got to buy a replacement.

I am not sure if you think people who bring more hard goods that don't get consumed by the trip should pay less? In that case I should go for free every time, but I can't think you mean that. I always get as much or more than I give in various ways and my river family is large and takes great care of me....FWIW.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #14

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
It's simple really, before a trip I get together or speak with the group to determine what gear or equipment is required and what gear needs to be purchased we try to each buy an item or two and who ever spends the least on trip specific needs buys the beer or most beer. As stated above I will bring any of my gear that might be useful on the trip and I'm happy to. I may require others to help carry some of my community gear. I buy it to use it and don't really need much of a reason to add to my arsenal of gear and toys.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #15

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Thats the way I feel, I buy my gear to use. I find most folks to be the same way, they buy the stuff they like and want to use it and bring on a trip, cause most folks like their gear the best. Especially kitchens, most folks with a full com box think theirs is the best in terms of whats in it an the organization of such.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #16

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I charge people for what they use. If I bring the Groover I charge people $2 to use it with a $0.50 penalty if they trickle any urine in. Vegetarians get a discount on the Groover. I charged the group $4 a meal to use my partner stove. There is a $10 cleaning charge if anyone cook bacon on a griddle or open frying pan and gets bacon grease all over my stove. I provide salt and pepper for free just so that people don't think I am a dick. I also usually bring my rain fly for free and let people sit under it if it is not raining. If it rains it's $4 per person per hour. I think this is a really . I think this is a really fair system, and I provide high-quality gear. I don't understand why people never invite me back for a second trip.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #17

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post
I charge people for what they use. If I bring the Groover I charge people $2 to use it with a $0.50 penalty if they trickle any urine in. Vegetarians get a discount on the Groover. I charged the group $4 a meal to use my partner stove. There is a $10 cleaning charge if anyone cook bacon on a griddle or open frying pan and gets bacon grease all over my stove. I provide salt and pepper for free just so that people don't think I am a dick. I also usually bring my rain fly for free and let people sit under it if it is not raining. If it rains it's $4 per person per hour. I think this is a really . I think this is a really fair system, and I provide high-quality gear. I don't understand why people never invite me back for a second trip.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #18

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
It's about fun, not fairness. Compared to just about any other vacation, a river trip is a cheap week. Suck it up, eat a fee or expense or two and enjoy the shit out of it. Every day on the river is like cheating- be grateful.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #19

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
FWIW, I'm pretty sure most agencies don't allow reimbursement for wear and tear on personal equipment usage on non-commercial trips. They consider it a commercial use.

On our trips where boats get rented, we exempt the owner of a (suitable) boat from rental expenses. We ask ourselves, "If everyone on the trip acted this way and brought a boat they owned, would we have to rent anything?" If the answer is no, then the owner of the boat being brought shouldn't have to pay any rental costs. It's a hefty discount, but boats are expensive- I've probably got close to 10K into my boat.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #20

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
all trip costs get split down the middle (food, shuttle, rentals, consumables) having group gear is what gets people to invite you again... and lowers total group costs. i own 2 boats but row a rental in the grand because its just easier takes less time to set up and the outfitters do a better job of "boat set up"(right size cooler, ect) if you are using one of theirs. i personally don't want to boat with people who try to itemize all their "group gear" at the take out... "well i brought the blaster and it would have cost us 2 dollars a day to rent one so on this week long trip i should pay 14 dollars less"<--- this is how you never get another invite from me
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote