Groover Duty Failure - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2016   #1

Seattle, Washington
Groover Duty Failure

Just got off the Lower Salmon a couple of days ago (an amazing trip - separate post to come). It was my first trip leading a couple of less experienced families, and my first time on groover duty. It was a job I took seriously - I combed the forums for advice, bought a Selway toilet, and each day of the trip found the best groover spot and hauled the each day heavier load of shit for 13 people.

At the end of the trip we drove to the SCAT machine in Asotin. I had never used a SCAT machine - this one is in it's own shed and the outside temperature was 97 degrees and much hotter inside. I made the mistake of unsealing the groover while I read the directions and soon was overcome with a stench that will haunt me for the rest of my days. My family, waiting in the air conditioned car got to see me dash out and lose my lunch right in front of them.

My wife then proceeded to ban me from SCAT duty and went in and effortlessly completed the task. From now on, she says she will take over groover duty. What an amazing wife. The crazy thing is, I am a physician who has spent most of my career in a level one ER seeing all manor of gore. My wife, who is 5 feet tall and about 100 lbs usually leaves me with the dirty work.

Oh well, I guess it worked out well for me in the end

davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016   #2

cedar city, Utah
So many puns, so little time.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Laughing my ass off Philip!
Maybe I to should try barfing in front of my Girlfriend while dumping the groover?...?...?
Wonder how long it will take till she finds this post and gives me a hard time? Hmm...
Old 08-31-2016   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Several years ago on a Yampa trip, I declared that I was tired of doing the groover emptying, and that this time, a kayaker would do it instead. Daniel, we'll call him, graciously volunteered, and hauled the two Eco-Safe groovers up the ramp at Split Mountain, and back to the dump station.

We went about our business cleaning and rolling boats, and soon we were loading things up. Needing to put rockets underneath everything else, we started wondering where Dan had been for damn near an hour.

I grabbed a throwbag, in case he was stuck in a hole, and headed up the ramp to find the missing groovers. About this time Dan comes back down, green. Chirping in his mouth. Apologizing. "Sorry man." ::chirp:: "I finished one, but I can't" ::Chirp:: "do the other one. I'm sorry." ::CHIRP:: And he stumbles back down the ramp.

I went on up to finish the job, and got up there, and couldn't find the supplies. No input hose, no adapters, no output hose, no gloves, and no pickle-jar (plastic restaurant style pickle jar), where we kept said items. Back down the ramp.

I ask Dan where the supplies are, to which he replies, "What supplies?"
"You know, the hoses, fittings, the whole pickle jar."
"Pickle Jar?"
"Dan, how the hell did you empty the first one without the hoses?"

Turning greener, and no longer able to speak because of the ongoing chirping, Dan holds out both hands and proceeds to mime shaking an upside down rocket box out.

To this day, I still think of that FAIL whenever I clean out a groover, and I sure do thank my lucky stars that I know about the hoses!!!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
That's the shits
Old 08-31-2016   #6

Where is the like button?!!!!

This is why doc are not nurses! You can however keep your digital disimpaction, stirrups, and bartholin cysts.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So with the result, I just don't see how was this a failure. Am I missing something?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #8
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The Reason

"spent most of my career in a level one ER seeing all manor (sp) of gore"

Gore don't Smell like Shit

the Capt
Old 09-01-2016   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
So with the result, I just don't see how was this a failure. Am I missing something?
+1. . Box came back clean and someone else did it.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
For once I actually agree with Andy!