Groover Duty Failure - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2016   #21

Seattle, Washington
Thanks for all the hilarious replies. Misery loves company and I knew there would be stories way worse than mine. I can't wait to show my wife some of these threads!!!

davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016   #22

cedar city, Utah
My story isn't from what most people would consider a groover but it fits the theme and is close enough.

We did a 4th of July Ruby Horsethief trip years ago. We had a history of cleaning up trash at boat ramps so it didn't phase me when my wife cleaned a few pieces at the put-on before we launched. She placed the stuff in a trash bag in the cab if my two seater Tacoma. Locked up tight over the 4th with temps over 100.

Fast forward 2 days. We played it conservative and "evac'ed" a member of the trip who will remain nameless. They were in a rush to setup the groover, as happens occasionally, and fell badly with said apparatus. No mess, it was still sealed. That said, the ankle was expanding by the minute. Couldn't feel anything broken but palpating it led to sharp pain and we were running out of ice. We chose to row 10 miles before dark and take them into a clinic. (Technically already a groover failure)

Fast forward several hours...we made it to westwater, tied up the boat, and drove our shuttle vehicle to the put-in. I open my truck's door to get in and start wretching. I dry heaved for a good 5 minutes. The others are watching from the car (they were going to drive into GJ while I drove back to Westwater to derig) and have no clue what is going on. Neither do I at this point. The only thing I know is my truck smells lot hot, putrid death. Turns out the trash my wife picked up included a kettle chip bag that someone has used as a toilet and then abandoned on the launch beach. It sat, simmering in my sealed truck in 100 degree heat for more than 48 hours.

Who uses potato chip bags to crap in? Foul play! I have seen worse and will share the story of a students "poop sock" another time (the skill involved is staggering by itself). The problem now is I must drive back to Westwater to derig and pack our raft. The physical culprit is gone but not the stench. After some serious trial and error the best solution I can find is threefold. Chew Cinnamon gum and then place the gum in my nostrils. Two, leave the windows down the entire drive. The faster the better on this night. And three, spray the Deep Woods Off we brought into the cab every 5-10 minutes. To say it worked would be a stretch but anything was better than that stench. It almost felt like I was swimming in it.

My wife, being who she is, laughed a little too hard, a little too soon that night. She bought me dinner and probably still has some karma to repay. After negotiations it was made clear she is not allowed to Ever pick up and place garbage in our truck ever again. I still don't know how the pound of human excrement was not obvious to her when she put that chip bag in the truck. Life's little mysteries.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #23
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
25 people on a 3 day Ruby/Horsethief trip. Day one we get to camp and off load the Riverbank. A young lad is so desperate that he flips up the lid and drops trowel... directly on top of the sealed lid. After the trip, I take the grover back to Fruita RV dump. All goes well, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is hard and large and still in the grover after cleaning. Turns out one of the kids (probably the same boy) had decided that the groover needed about 5 rocks added to the mix. Actually cleaned out really nice as I think the rocks helped break up some of the stew.
Old 09-02-2016   #24

cedar city, Utah
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016   #25

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
So this summer I found the easiest way to dump the groover ever. I filled the tank up with water at the take out as I have found that this really helps break down those "chunks". After the trip home and much "stirring" by the road vibrations I was left with a thin "stew". I have had problems in the past using the hose so this time I thought, "Heck, I am just going to dump this in an outhouse".Whats the difference. The outhouse is full of shit and all that I am dumping in is some well diluted shit. I pulled the tank out of the rocket box, unscrewed the lid, and poured it down the vault toilet. Then rinsed with some water. Easy-peasy and no mess. No clogged hose, no exploding clamps, no overspill.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016   #26
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Heads up Paul, that most land management agency's frown on dumping groovers in out houses. This is often because the chemical groover deoderants many people use, can kill off the microbes they are using to break down the organic waste in the outhouse. This can lead to needing to pump the outhouse more often, along with the added volume contributing to sewage pumping costs.
Some river access sites post signage to this effect.
Old 09-03-2016   #27

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
I think the name of the book is up " Up Shit Creek" very funny read of things going terribly wrong with groovers.
My advice on the subject is NEVER open the small cap that the garden hose connects to, first. Got blasted in the face with heat pressurized shit one time, from making that mistake.

I got my toilet out last week and was puzzling over how to use it. I played around with the white cap on the lid, the blue slinky hose, and the 3" hole on the side. I had concluded that the white cap on the lid was to release pressure in the tank before opening the lid. Reading the post by Matt made me question all my assumptions. I am having nightmares about shit everywhere.

I will be going on my first multi-day trip in 2 weeks. It's a 5 day down Hells Canyon. There's 8 of us going.

Earlier this year I bought a Riverbank toilet by Selway. Like anyone with a new toy, I'm wanting to try it out. So, I volunteered my toilet and by default myself for groover duty on the trip. The only thing is, I've never done groover duty before, shoot, I've never even used one. The logistics: Placement, location, transportation to and from the boat, stowing on the boat, daily maintenance, poo digester potions, toilet paper stands, how to clean, insect control, etc. are all theoretical abstractions without any concrete real life experience. I've read every thread and anything I could find on the web, but they are mostly written to people that have experience maintaining them or first time users. Now the trip is rapidly approaching, I find myself beginning to realize my usual modus operandi of figuring it out on the fly might have some very unpleasant consequences.

I wish there was an Instructable or to do list on groover duty so that the inexperienced or uninitiated like me could figure this out with more chance of success than of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016   #28
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm glad I have initiated night mares for you! ( or anyone for that matter,just not that scary, no matter how hard I try )

Most camp sites have a spot that usually gets used for the groover, so just look for spots that aren't really big enough for a tent, that's an easy way to find the groover spot, then make sure there is a good view, and privacy if your group cares about it. It is always nice to be able to wave at fellow rafters when they pass by in the morning to ( while you poo). Thinking about safety of any drunk people trying to get to the groover at night is good, and easy access so people pee before sitting on your groover will help the smell, and weight.

If you have fires on the trip, ash makes a great ,free deoderant.
I've never dumped a johny partner, but I'll bet you could find some good info on there web site? Maybe some youtube videos?

Relax, you'll be fine, groover duty is way easier then kitchen duty, some times I wish I was just on groover duty every trip, it really is less work.

Lastly, take that bad boy out into the back yard ( or neighbors back yard? If the're pissing you off?) and try it out!! Get a feel for it before you have groover duty on the trip.

Have fun on the Snake.
Old 09-03-2016   #29

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post

Lastly, take that bad boy out into the back yard ( or neighbors back yard? If the're pissing you off?) and try it out!! Get a feel for it before you have groover duty on the trip.

Have fun on the Snake.

Great idea! I'm going to to give it a dry run. I'll start first thing tomorrow morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016   #30

NE, Oregon
My own near groover fail and a word to the wise on the Riverbank.
When closing the inner cell, close the first tabs opposite of one another. Closing the second tab next to the first allows the lid to rotate when you push it down...
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote