Groover Duty Failure - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2016   #11

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
I can't imagine how stories there are out there of groover fails, but I offer the following...

We had come off a Grand trip with many full groovers, at least half of which were just the cans without the eco-safe tanks ("saves room, can fit more in the cans without the tanks", so it was said). One of the guys offered to empty said groovers, and away he went to the RV dump station with groovers in tow.

Now, nobody went with him, so confirmation is sketchy, but the way he tells it, he basically put on some rubber boots and rubber gloves and went to town dumping and cleaning. Short of all the shitty details, the mental image that comes to mind is of this long-haired, dirty, scruffy dude in cut-offs and no shirt, wallowing around in shin-deep shit with a hose and a scrub brush while others patrons are trying to empty the tanks on their $500,000 diesel pusher motor homes.

Bottom line is that he returned with clean cans, and we didn't have to do it. I actually think he liked it.....

jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016   #12

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
All groover stories are similar if you think about it. Some type of mishap with shit.

My story involves a plugged exit hose and a clamp on the groover that wasn't tight enough. We thought we had it all right. The exit hose was going into the black water hole, and the fresh water was being forced in. Turns out the blockage was stronger than the clamp, and in a matter of seconds all that was inside the groover was coming out where the clamp failed and not in the hole. Making sure all pieces are secured tightly is a mistake I will not make again. To this day, if I am responsible for groover duty, corn is not allowed to be on the trip menu.

This all took place in a RV camp spot right next to my parents' 5th wheel at their summer retirement campground. We stink bombed the entire campground. I do need to give my dad props. While it was partly his idea to do the dumping in the campsite and not in dump station(away from campsites), he was the first one to react and turn off the water and start shoving the shit in the black water hole.

The more troubling part to me - Why is it that this memory is so vivid, and I can't remember squat about important stuff ....like lines in rapids.
Old 09-01-2016   #13
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think the name of the book is up " Up Shit Creek" very funny read of things going terribly wrong with groovers.
My advice on the subject is NEVER open the small cap that the garden hose connects to, first. Got blasted in the face with heat pressurized shit one time, from making that mistake.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016   #14

cedar city, Utah
There are better ways to get shit faced, mattman.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #15
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Pure gold right there LOL
Old 09-01-2016   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbaker View Post
Just got off the Lower Salmon a couple of days ago (an amazing trip - separate post to come). It was my first trip leading a couple of less experienced families, and my first time on groover duty. It was a job I took seriously - I combed the forums for advice, bought a Selway toilet, and each day of the trip found the best groover spot and hauled the each day heavier load of shit for 13 people.

At the end of the trip we drove to the SCAT machine in Asotin. I had never used a SCAT machine - this one is in it's own shed and the outside temperature was 97 degrees and much hotter inside. I made the mistake of unsealing the groover while I read the directions and soon was overcome with a stench that will haunt me for the rest of my days. My family, waiting in the air conditioned car got to see me dash out and lose my lunch right in front of them.

My wife then proceeded to ban me from SCAT duty and went in and effortlessly completed the task. From now on, she says she will take over groover duty. What an amazing wife. The crazy thing is, I am a physician who has spent most of my career in a level one ER seeing all manor of gore. My wife, who is 5 feet tall and about 100 lbs usually leaves me with the dirty work.

Oh well, I guess it worked out well for me in the end

Everyone seems to be laughing at you and not helping you! I have never had solo responsibility of the groovers, but I have helped many times.

Did you just take the groover off your boat and not open it until the scat machine?

One thing everyone I know does is have a spare bucket handy, when you get to the takeout fill the bucket up with water. Go away from everyone at the take out ( preferably down wind) fill the groover up with a bit of water. Seems to do a pretty good pre scrub on most bumpy take out roads.

Also if you are sensitive with smells try the mulch that Selway fab sells or try using powdered bleach etc.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
RiverVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #17

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverVandal View Post

Also if you are sensitive with smells try the mulch that Selway fab sells or try using powdered bleach etc.
We went the powdered bleach route this year on our Lower trip, I filled an old season salt shaker with Clorox2 dried bleach and told everybody to give it a little shake after each deposit. 9 people, 6 days, shitter smelled like bleach all week. A little water takeout morning, and it only took one round in the SCAT machine to get it nice and clean.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #18

Colorado Springs, Colorado
My wife now, but girlfriend then said she would help me clean out the groovers after a river trip. We were at a state park RV dump getting ready to clean out two eco-safe groovers. I had the blue dump hose and fittings, went to connect the water hose and the RV dump’s hose didn’t have a nozzle fitting (now I carry my own hose or fittings for groover duty). So, were both standing there getting ready to do plan-B. I tell her we’re going to manually dump the poo. Had the eco safe all tilted over the RV dumb hole and I sprayed some water into it and the glob of poo comes out like a terrible playdo spaghetti maker gone wrong. Needless to say she ran off gaging say “I cant do this…I cant do this”. To this day she hasn’t helped me clean the groover.
Rockgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #19

Fraser, Colorado
"Terrible playdo spaghetti maker" wow, my new favorite word!!!
Some wood ash in the groover works really good as a deoderant, just make sure there are no big chunks of wood that might get stuck, saves you money to, if you'll be having any fires on the trip.
Old 09-01-2016   #20

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Well, ya.... Think I ended up getting pretty shitfaced that evening trying to forget it.