Old 08-27-2013   #11
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Good thing i'm bored. Here is even more detailed info on that area...Google Earth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf River-Green-Pipeline Area.pdf (223.4 KB, 230 views)

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #12
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
As far as what to look for, I remember it as being towards the end of a long straight stretch with some bluffs turning into higher, steeper cliffs. There is just a little flat spot about 5-10 feet above the water line on the river right with steeper cliffs behind. I think it is in sight but downstream of a big sandy campground on the river left where the road can be seen. There is a nice eddy where you can pull out and it is kind of bushy but easy to get up. I can't stress enough to secure your boat solidly on that bluff, the water is deep and if it ended up even slightly downstream it would be a long walk to swinging bridge. I'll see if I can locate a picture to post somewhere.

Carroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #13
New Castle, Colorado
Damn Endo, you're the person to ask. Nice details. Yeah, I think you're right about the location. Its been a few years since I've been down that far.
Old 08-27-2013   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
In my opinion, if i were to skip any of them, i'd skip C and pull at B. maybe do a layover day and fish at grasshopper island or something.

The Swallow canyons are awesome, specially for the birds,'s a lot of flat water pushing for not too much excitement, especially at 800cfs. At least you can ditch your PFD once below the Indian crossing bridge I think.

"A"section has the fish and most of the named rapids...the green water visibility and trout are worth it alone I think...
scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Endomadness - Thanks for the detailed maps, super helpful.

I'll be sure to report back on how things go. This run has been on our list for a while and it seems like a lot of folks on the buzz ask about it, so I'll be sure to pass some details on. Thanks all!
Aknoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #16
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Oh my gosh, the description of the dory guys - priceless....
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #17
Park City, Utah
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
They all wear polypro buffs covering their heads/necks and cotton gloves....just put on suncreen you ass clowns
Those of use who have already lost part of our face to the skin doc's find the buffs effective and comfortable.
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #18
New Castle, Colorado
Well, how was it? Did you find the cliff camp? Just curious. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-11-2013   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It was great, that's a pretty stunning series of canyons. Unbelievably clear water and the fishing looked excellent (I'm not a fisherman myself, but you could see tons of fish and people said it was almost comically easy). We did find that cliff campsite after some wandering around, but had made such good time from our previous night's camp (Red Creek) that we decided to just keep going to the take-out. We'll be sure to stay there next time for sure.

Red Creek rapid was supremely easy given the number of times we were warned about it (BLM pamphlet, shuttle driver, signs on the river). At low flows (~1100 CFS) the left side was pretty much the only line, though the right side along the cliff looked fun, except for the nasty pour-over at the bottom. Definitely a worthwhile trip, and definitely worth it to do all three sections: Section A was gorgeous but a bit of a zoo, Section B had great camping, and Section C was worth it just for the cliff campsite and Swallow Canyon.
Aknoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #20
salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
ill take face mask over sunscreen any day fishing

Meichorn is offline   Reply With Quote