Old 07-05-2016   #1
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Green River below Flaming Gorge Info

I am planning on a 3 day Green River (Flaming Gorge Dam to Crook Campground). I had some questions and also open to any advise.

1. How are the mosquitoes there (put in and camp sites)?
2. I am going with kids (10 and 12 year old) and thought that this was all class I and II but then I talked to some of the shuttle companies and was told that the water is high and the rapids are bigger. They also said that the water is going to go down this weekend. I am not looking for big rapids. I have a 14' raft. Any thoughts?
3. Are the campsites in section B on a first to sign up at the put in basis or can I reserve them online in advance?
4. Are reservations necessary or possible for Swinging Bridge camp ground in Browns Park?

cohenjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #2
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
first; there will be mosquitoes and with the water going down they can only get worst
second; there is red creek in the "B" section that could get to you in trouble if your not paying attention. scout on the left and run on the left.
third;you can reserve online
fourth;not sure about online for swinging bridge always just pulled in and camped
remember to watch for the bridge at the Jarvie Ranch if the water is high you'll have to portage around it

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #3
Saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2013
I've been looking at this too. Do you know what levels they are dropping to? We're planning July 16-18th and we are hoping that red Creek is still running good. Utah BLM gave me this number 307-875-2871 for Tara. She works on the Wyoming side and had a lot of info.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
bray1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #4
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bug beta?

Anyone have any recent info on the bugs on this section?
limnatide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #5
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
was there recently, and the bugs weren't too bad; wind may have been keeping them off though

either way, bring the bug dope and you should be fine
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #6
Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I think the shuttle companies may play it up a little. This is a place where rookies rent rafts an most fair pretty well. Section A was pretty busy, I ran it in my 14' Outlaw with my wife and the dog a couple weeks ago. All the rapids were class I or II and pretty straight forward. The water was high about 7000 they have been dropping the flow since then. It was 9000 the day before our launch. We didn't notice many bugs but I'm betting with the water dropping over the last couple weeks you will see some. It will most likley be a little more technical as more rocks are exposed by dropping water levels. Hope this helps. Have fun and be safe.

Rick A is online now   Reply With Quote