Mountain Buzz banner

Green River ABC in October?

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  ssoren1 
#1 ·
I understand they ratchet down the dam release. I saw another thread but couldn't find it. Is there enough water at the put in for the A section to get a trailer in the water? I will be rowing a pretty big boat, however big tubes don't down sit in the water as deep and smaller boats therefore I may be okay in the shallow wide sections.

thoughts?

Tda

#9 ·
SICK!!
Keep telling my girlfriend we're getting a Snout rig, and she thinks I'm kidding!

You probably know about the tides from being so close to the dam up there, but water usually drops during the night, and boats can be parked on rocks in the morning when you get up, so careful where you tie off for the night.

Have a great trip!

#12 ·
When we were up there last month with my dad, I watched a 15-16' raft run right at Red Creek and he had plenty of room. This was at about 1 o'clock, so the water was probably over 1K at that point. Next time we go, I'm going to scout on the right and probably run that line.
I've run right in the past with a little more water.

How wide is your snout. FWIW, we have a 16' cat that's about 100'' wide.

#14 ·
I'm getting ready for next weekend and was wondering about river mileage. I would like to do all three sections. We are putting in Saturday morning and floating till Monday. I would like to get off Monday morning or early afternoon.

The ABC sections total 28 river miles. We will be floating 10-11 miles the first day. 12 or so the next, and 4 or less the third.

Will river flow allow for 10-12 each day at a leisurely pace?

Thanks ahead of time,

Troy

#17 ·
I talked with the Vernal office about the road down to the ramp next to the dam. He said that he doesn't think my trailer could make it. I am towing a 28 foot flatbed trailer. He said that the switchbacks may be an issue. I have taken this rig down and up Mineral bottom.

Does anybody know if the road down to the A section may be to small for my rig?

I really don't want to drive there and figure out that I cannot get down there.

Thanks,

Troy

#20 ·
I talked with the Vernal office about the road down to the ramp next to the dam. He said that he doesn't think my trailer could make it. I am towing a 28 foot flatbed trailer. He said that the switchbacks may be an issue. I have taken this rig down and up Mineral bottom.

Does anybody know if the road down to the A section may be to small for my rig?

I really don't want to drive there and figure out that I cannot get down there.
Thanks,

Troy
I have done it with a 18' trailer and it is very tight I would not try even if the ranger lets you. Which he/she probably wont. Your rig would stick out and block the road when parked waiting to be shuttled, you might need to unhitch trailer to park it.

#18 ·
I have only done it once but from memory there are a couple tighter switch backs turns and the ramp was packed it could be a real pain to get turned around even if you make the switch backs. You could always scout the road when you get there and have one of the shuttle companies launch your raft it you don't think you can make it. We used Flaming Gorge Resort for our shuttle and I'm pretty sure they will launch you if needed.

#19 ·
There is one switch back that will probably cause you issues with that 28-foot trailer. No problem with a drift boat trailer and a 14-foot trailer that hauls my raft. Google earth it and you will see the switch back. One thought is there is a road for the maintenance workers that runs back up towards the dam. I think there is a gate (wish street view was available to see the gate). I don't know if there is enough room to pull forward but if there is you could back the trailer down from this point. I image there is enough room if you could get somebody to open the gate for a minute or so. Imagine your dealing with an overall length of 35-40'?? With this approach though you would need do the same on your way back to the parking lot. I have never floated in October but November the last 4 years and maybe 3-4 boats max on the river. If you get up early or wait till late morning that will be the best time to do your thing. Guides generally push off between 8-9 AM with their bobber throwing clients...

You could always just put in at Little Hole (start of the B Section) and wade fish, tool around for a day.

#21 ·
Well the rig turned the switchback nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to take it down there again.

Approx: 2000 cfs:

The snout rig worked great and rowed like the pig it is. Thankfully most of the wind was downriver! I ran right of center at red creek. It worked well and included a involuntary 180 turn in the middle of it. We floated to the end of the B section. I was blown away at the camp infrastructure. That is some pretty spoiled river camping! I bet its insanely crowded during peak season. Not sure when peak season is though.

The put in was shallow therefore it took a lot of effort to get the boat in. The takeout was also shallow therefore we opted to dismantle and loan.

We were rained on, briefly hailed on, hot, cold but had a blast.

Tda

#25 ·
Would liked to see you making the corner - glad it all worked out. Regarding fishing this time of year it's kinda a mix bag. Warm sunny days ants/beetles work, morning with cloud cover throw dark streamers. With precip. and cloudy days could produce a decent BWO hatch. But if you want to catch fish consistently nymph fish with the small stuff. Zebra midges, BWO midges (wd40, rs2, etc.) The key to my success is depth. Play with your weight and get to the fish. Since it will be your first time you'll probably be amazed by the herding of the fish down river. Its quite the sight for a first timer. Don't be fooled and try to fish every fish you see. You'll go crazy. Just fish the runs and pockets that would typically hold fish. Stop into Trout Creek flies and they'll hook you up. Flies are $$$ but pick up a few and they'll give you update info. I'm heading over in mid November for an annual dude trip. Good stuff. Have Fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.