Old 03-06-2014   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Grand Trip

Looking to trade slot for boatperson – preferably with 16’ or larger boat – and prior GC experience on our trip for same in 2015. Basically need you capable of carrying 2 participants and share of group gear and I will do same for you next year (and/or possibly on another river anytime). Our trip is 6 nights to Phantom, 15 to Diamond (max allowed) and 17 to Pierce with takeout on Sunday, August 10. Cost estimated at $1k per participant depending how much group gear we have to rent (hopefully little although we will use one of the Flagstaff-based GC outfitters to freeze a cooler or two and possibly buy some fresh produce), shuttles will be Lee’s to Flag (our vehicles, mostly from SLC) and outfitter’s transport for Pierce to Flag. (Possible DC takeout August 8, but hoping to avoid it.) We are a group of 20-somethings to a couple of 60+ boatmen (with GC experience back to early 70’s, “ex- guides”), will hike as much as we can and enjoy ourselves and each other in camp – but safety is paramount. Don’t waste my time and I won’t waste yours: looking for a solid boater with a good-sized boat and mellow attitude, maybe most important qualification is love for the canyon and appreciation for the chance to be down there. Do you have a 2015 launch date? A good size raft and big water experience? If so contact me and let’s see what happens! (If no launch date but interested and able to get away for 18 days late July to early August, stay tuned and I will post update.) PM me, and will respond to all.

GC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #2
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
You should look into Ceiba from flagstaff for gear. They have been just awesome for our group.

snowjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Hi, I'm Bob. I live in SLC. I have an 18' Leopard Cat, it holds a lot, also an 18' Avon Spirit raft, it holds everything and likes big water; it's a bucket boat. Either boat can be motorized up to 10 hp. The Avon has been down Cataract 6 or 7 times with me rowing. I have no G.C. river experience, but lived and worked there a couple seasons and know and love the area. I want to learn the run for my 2015 permit. I've rowed big water, Cataract at 15k, the Yampa at flood stage, 48k in 83' and 35k in 2011. Ladore a few times. I can read the river and am a strong rower. I'm in my 50s. I race high performance beach catamaran sailboats on the ocean in winter and locally in season. I am hard working and have worked as a professional chef and caterer. I am mellow and beyond staying up much past 10P.M. anymore. I have a groover, stove, cooler, table, and I don't take a lot of personal gear. I have an October 17th 2015 launch. We have that launch to please my brother, who is a G.C. veteran rower, and prefers Fall to Summer. No motors or mercs. I co-operate the boat concession at Rockport Lake by Park City, so if I rate a meeting, come on up, grab a burger and a beer and sail or fish or whatever.
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Catsailor/Bob: sent you a PM, would like to talk and can run up to Rockport anytime if you're there.
GC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote