Old 06-18-2015   #1
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Grand Rhonde Narrows at current flows 1800 cfs???

I'm hoping to find some help were planning on running from Boggans Oasis to Hellar Bar. Various guide books state its runnable 1200cfs and up, were hitting the river Sat morning at this rate the river might be around 1700 and who knows what level on Sunday when we reach the Narrows.

We ran this in May the level was somewhere 2200-2400 and the narrows were no challenge at all. This time I'm bringing the family and I don't want to have issues. Were running a 15' raft.

I'm thinking of going for it as long as the level does not drop dramatically, I thought I would bring 2 paddles incase I miss some strokes the bow paddlers could help out.

Anyone with experience at this level I'd really appreciate any advice.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #2
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
point straight in, go downstream, don't breach, watch your oars, there isn't much to know.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #3
Seattle, Washington
recommended usually means not bony, and not bank-full.

guidebooks often state recommended levels. there are often runnable levels both below recommended minimum and above recommended maximum.

the trick is knowing your boat, your water reading skills, and the river in question to assess how much type II fun you are willing to take on, and how far into those margins you can go safely. Since you know the run already, and flows are within 20% of recommended, you should be fine.

but watch out for shap's line advice, he's a sandbagger!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #4
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
This isn't my video but I have been down there at sub 700 cfs. As you can see at 1/2 the flow you are looking at, the line is there for a large raft. Biggest issue at really low water such as sub 700 cfs, is not breaching and watching your oars (if you catch an oar on the bank it can turn you into a spin that may cause a breach if you hang up the bow).

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote