Grand hikers need help in late-September - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2016   #1

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Grand hikers need help in late-September

Hi, GF and I will be attempting a Bass trail north-to-south rim-to-rim in late September. So we need a way across the river. We've scheduled the permit so as to allow 3 days or so to catch a ride. So if you think you might be passing by Bass on Sept 26, 27, or 28th, please keep a look out for us and help us out. We'll probably be upstream of the big Bass camp, at Parkins Inscription or Hotauta, as it's probably difficult to get us across to somewhere where we can access the South Bass trail if we're picked up at the big camp.

If you think you'll be passing by in that time-frame and are willing to help, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Thanks !

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #2

Just to be clear, I am headed north to south. Ideal dropoff would be the Ross Wheeler.
Old 09-09-2016   #3

zephyr cove, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1995
If you run late (or are still sitting there) we are planning to be at bass on 10/4.
tahoebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebear View Post
If you run late (or are still sitting there) we are planning to be at bass on 10/4.
Ha, ok ! I hope to have hung around Flagstaff a couple days, drinking and climbing, and then flown home by then. But who knows ...
Old 09-10-2016   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We launch on the 18th and hit Phantom on the 24th. We should be down around Bass in the time frame you mentioned. We'll keep an eye out for you. It's a big group, so shouldn't be a problem ferrying you and your GF across.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #6

Tent City, Liquid State
Paddling Since: 1990
Just stick out your thumb.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mountain Buzz
Maxident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxident View Post
Just stick out your thumb.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mountain Buzz
I've sat by the banks of the Colorado for 24 consecutive hours without seeing a boat - no foolin'. Of course, my hiking permit allowed us at least double that to find a ride.

But we decided to just do an in&out on the south side anyhow (but not because we were worried about getting a ride across the River).
Old 09-22-2016   #8

GJ, Colorado
Free yourself. Get one of those and a set of hand paddles, and cross whenever you want to.
Old 09-22-2016   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
Free yourself. Get one of those and a set of hand paddles, and cross whenever you want to.
And end up like the unfortunate OARS guide recently, I think not. Perhaps if I were more comfortable with the water ...
Old 09-23-2016   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jge1 View Post
I've sat by the banks of the Colorado for 24 consecutive hours without seeing a boat - no foolin'....
We came across a couple hikers on a late April river trip who came down from the rim to Nankoweap but were unable to make the trip back up. When we pulled in to the beach, they told us they were there for >3 days without seeing anyone either on foot or in boat. There were some pretty severe hydration issues and we ended up initiating a heli vac.

I've also given rides both across and down the river to backpackers, as there is always a spare pfd on every raft. Nothing more than a ferry, just more favorable interaction with fellow travelers.

I guess my point is that if you are down there and a flotilla is present, just say hi to them and share your story and you'll find yourself across the river in short time. If they are there it will be easy. But you can't count on it without allowing for at least a 2 or even 3 day window. So if you're prepared for that I'd say you'll find a ride within that window.

I'd also wager you just might find someone within this forum that will make an appointment with you down there on a specific day, but make sure you plan for both scenarios if you decide to take the leap of faith.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote