Grand hikers need help in late-September - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2016   #11

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
We came across a couple hikers on a late April river trip who came down from the rim to Nankoweap but were unable to make the trip back up. When we pulled in to the beach, they told us they were there for >3 days without seeing anyone either on foot or in boat. There were some pretty severe hydration issues and we ended up initiating a heli vac.
Wow, pretty bad dehydration issue if being at the river didn't solve it.

I backpacked to Nankoweap once and one night there we were THE only two humans in the entire area: no other hikers, no river parties at any of the Nankoweap camps or even the Little Nanko camp. In May !!

Quote:
... spare pfd on every raft.
Not required anymore - just one per every N people - but a good idea for many reasons, including hikers.

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #12

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jge1 View Post
Wow, pretty bad dehydration issue if being at the river didn't solve it..
I was thinking something similar. Having a good, clear creek and the river for 3 days in April....I think the psychological impact of hiking out was at play more than anything.
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #13

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Not required anymore - just one per every N people - but a good idea for many reasons, including hikers.
1 per 10 people as I recall. So on a small trip one extra for the whole group and for large trip two.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #14

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Actually, jge1 and I shared a couple of PMs about hitching a ride. They eventually decide to do a out and back from the south rim. We were staying at Hotauta on the 25/26th and noticed hikers down at Ross Wheeler on the morning of the 26th from our camp before launching. Turns out it was jge1 and GF, but had left camp by the time we launched around 9:30 and we didn't see them after that.

On another hiker note. We were at Nevilles and upstream was a young couple that had hiked in that day. The river was running heavy silt and these folks were trying to settle water enough to filter with a backpacker filter. It wasn't happening. They were pretty low on water. We invited them down for pulled pork, BB and slaw, filled their bladders and nalgene bottles that evening and topped they off in the morning. They were most appreciative.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
They were pretty low on water. We invited them down for pulled pork, BB and slaw, filled their bladders and nalgene bottles that evening and topped they off in the morning. They were most appreciative.
The Lord's work.
Old 10-14-2016   #16

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Quote:
The Lord's work.
LOL! ...and now that I think of it, on top of the water issue, mice had gotten into some of their dried food packets. I think they said they didn't think mice would chew on the packaging.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
LOL! ...and now that I think of it, on top of the water issue, mice had gotten into some of their dried food packets. I think they said they didn't think mice would chew on the packaging.
OMG.