Grand Canyon Layovers - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Grand Canyon Layovers

Getting ready to plan the itinerary, a 21 day trip in April. Figure we'll have a minimum of 3 layovers. Any ideas about where those layovers should be?

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Across from Deer Creek is my favorite. The camp isn't that great, but being able to row across the river to Deer Creek falls and the Thunder River hike is awesome.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I like to layover about every 5 to 6 days to let people rest and relax or hike. So one above Phantom and two on the lower. It is possible to get another one in if you are efficient with making miles.
There are plenty of good layover camps so just pick something and stay flexible with your plans as it starts to get busy in April. I have taken a layover as soon as South Canyon on one trip. Also factor in the wind in spring, we took two back to back a few years ago as it was impossible to row against an epic windstorm that lasted several days.
The longest I have ever gone without a layover was all the way from Lee's to Bass but we had a high flow release and wanted to hit the Gorge for the big water. Too many days of rowing in my opinion.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't say what would be best for an april trip, but pick up a copy of Grand Canyon Hikes from the river by Tom Martin, besides hikes it has additional camp site beta.

We stayed at Tanner and Bass, good hikes with lots of winter sun, but might be warmer then you want in April? Also popular, so I could foresee ants being an issue.

Have an awesome time down there!!!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

NorCal, California
Thanks! Totally agree, that's a great book. I'm thinking on this trip I'll want the sun, prioritizing camps that have early sun.
Like your idea...but the last few trips through I've been unsuccessful getting those sites, they're on the list for sure though. Here's a good resource in case anyone needs it for shade and sun in the camps.

https://rrfw.org/sites/default/files..._July_2000.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Can't say what would be best for an april trip, but pick up a copy of Grand Canyon Hikes from the river by Tom Martin, besides hikes it has additional camp site beta.

We stayed at Tanner and Bass, good hikes with lots of winter sun, but might be warmer then you want in April? Also popular, so I could foresee ants being an issue.

Have an awesome time down there!!!
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

NorCal, California
Yeah the wind can get epic in the spring, the last April trip I did we had wind for the first week, everything covered in dust including us every morning.
I'm expecting it. I'm a little tired of laying over at Nankoweap, any other ideas in the upper canyon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtrat View Post
I like to layover about every 5 to 6 days to let people rest and relax or hike. So one above Phantom and two on the lower. It is possible to get another one in if you are efficient with making miles.
There are plenty of good layover camps so just pick something and stay flexible with your plans as it starts to get busy in April. I have taken a layover as soon as South Canyon on one trip. Also factor in the wind in spring, we took two back to back a few years ago as it was impossible to row against an epic windstorm that lasted several days.
The longest I have ever gone without a layover was all the way from Lee's to Bass but we had a high flow release and wanted to hit the Gorge for the big water. Too many days of rowing in my opinion.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
South, Saddle, Eminence, Dinosaur,and Kwagunt all have hikes. Two camps at Saddle so one should be open. The lower camp has earlier shade. Two camps at Eminence if you count President Harding as a camp. Carbon or Lava Canyon for the loop hike or up to Chuar for a long one. Rattlesnake up to the Tabernacle, popular camp so have a plan if it is taken as Hance isn't too far below.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
No matter how hard you try, you simply can't plan them before you launch. Too many variables that don't reveal themselves until you are on the water.

Weather can be varied and dramatic, so make sure you have your average miles covered before you layover to avoid some long/difficult days later. Overall, April provides for plenty of good weather, but be prepared for a few days of strong winds at least once if not 2 or 3 times over 3 weeks. But a layover per week is very realistic. One below phantom is nice, especially if you have an exchange. Just don't do it at Cremation! (LOL, but it's been done...) Nankoweap is the earliest I've laid over, you will have a good idea of how you are racking up miles by then.

Almost anywhere will do, so just monitor miles and talk with the groups around you and you will have a 1-3 day window to identify and plan for it at a cool place. We had another group traveling along with us who decided to layover across from Deer Creek, it was their only layover of their trip right after an ugly flip. Our trade off for missing that was Thunder River, so it worked out great. We were happy in the end when we came across hundreds of people hanging out @ Deer Creek upon our arrival, and that group stayed for 3 nights, so you never know what you will come across.

Good luck!
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote