Old 10-20-2014   #11
Salida, Colorado
Yep. Ran it at about that level. Granite and Hermit were super cool wave trains. Crystal is fuzzy in memory. Think we ran it right. Pay attention to how you tie up and your camp. We were at Cremation and had to retie and move as the water came up. I was in my 14' Hyside. Kind of weird watching your tube get sucked under water in eddy boils.

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Jealous! Have a blast and give us a TR.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #13
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
No beta really, I did it at 24K to 27K flow range. Left at Lava and it was still pretty big. Horn was huge and I nearly flipped after getting surfed??? on one of the entry laterals.

Granite looked terrifying but wasn't bad and Hermit was so much fun. A couple of those waves I started to lose steam and I going to make it over?

Jealous. What a great time to be out there.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #14
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by whip View Post
Kind of weird watching your tube get sucked under water in eddy boils.
The 25K trip I was on, the closest we came to a flip was when a tube of a 20ft (TWENTY FOOT) raft got sucked under in a boil. Until someone taco'ed their raft in Bickerson's Corner at 205.
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #15
North Platte, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by David L View Post
If you're at Crystal with the high flow I'd go left at the rock garden. I can't say what the left side of the upper part will be like.
Biggest I've seen was in 2011 at 27K. They kept it high that whole summer trying to fill Mead. Lot of boats got in trouble trying to run Crystal right then left of rock garden. Big mistake. If you start right, stay right. Very hard to make that move in so much water.

Tons of video on youtube from that summer. Search it and watch the videos. Bedrock is easy as you cruise right over the debris fan on the right. Left lava run is great, just be sure to scout from the left and hit your markers. There are many videos of boats going right into the ledge hole that year.

The 20's and gems pretty much washed out. So did the hole in Upset. I prefer lower water as more rapids are fun. You have some great advise here. Wait for it, run the gorge, layover and let it pass.

Have a great trip!
Husker Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #16
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
We were at bass when the high flows hit. A lot of camps are under water. The list of good camps was not accurate. Some rapids were easier and some harder. I was in a mini-me with a frame. Lava was the one that worried me. Have fun!
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #17
Wheredat, USA
In 2008 we were there for a high flow. We did a double layover at Rattlesnake camp to wait for the the water to catch up to us. We wanted to go through the Inner Gorge and beyond on the high water. We were glad we did! You're gonna love it.

I looked at my notes of that trip. A lot of info already written here is good.

At Hance, we scouted from the right side looking down onto it. We had good runs, and with all that water covering the rocks and we could maneuver fine around the holes.

Sock and Grape were BIG at their tops, be careful there. We did read and run.

I don't have any notes about Phantom to Horn, but be aware of the big eddy swirls.

At Horn, we split the horns and had good runs. We scouted from the right.

Granite and Hermit: I agree with comments from others. Big, fun waves.

At Crystal, we scouted from the hill and it gave us a look at the whole rapid, top to bottom. Bring binoculars for this. We all ran the right side of the top. Nobody wanted to go left. Now I'll disagree with Husker and agree with David L. We all wanted to run left of the rock garden and made it there without any problem after first running down Crystal's right side.

As for the rapids after Crystal. whether you call them the Gems or the Jewels, they are definitely NOT washed out, not all of them. There were some crazy waves at Nixon rock, and a couple of rapids further down were wild. I don't remember which ones, but I'm always careful to know when I'm at Sapphire, so maybe that was one of them. We didn't scout any of them.

If it helps any. we had 14 and 16 foot boats. All did fine. We did read and run for a lot of the rapids. Make sure every rower can read and run, and react quickly to what he sees! Whichever rapids you scout definitely talk about what you see.

Call Katrina at BuRec (801-524-3635) to get details of the flow ramp up and down, and try to know if it will catch you at night. If so, be careful with your boat parking with such a big flow change. The high flow might be a constant flow with no day/night fluctuation.

Have a great time!
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #18
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Thanks for all that info! I'll be putting on with a group the 30th for 21 days so looks we'll be in there with you. I rowed the canyon Aug of 2012 between 9 and 19k i"m pretty excited to see a little different water, high and lo, this time down. Have a blast!
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #19
North Platte, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 1974
Routing Map

Hey, if it's not too late, this may be helpful.
Routing map of the high flow through the canyon.
Husker Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #20
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Husker Boatman View Post
Hey, if it's not too late, this may be helpful.
Routing map of the high flow through the canyon.
Is that right???!!? The HFE that starts in Glen Canyon on 11/10 at 9am will hit Pearce just two days later? I thought it took longer than that to get there?

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote