Old 10-02-2014   #71
north little rock, Arkansas
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
You can demonstrate this by putting an equal amount of ice in a couple plastic bags and hang them in the air.
Punch some holes in the bottom of one so the melt water drips away and leave the other holding the melt water.
You'll find the draining bag will have solid ice after the other bag is full of just liquid water.
So you're saying I should punch holes in the bottom of my Yeti? On it!

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #72
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
would the sensors be wireless so you could monitor while the coolers are closed ...
Something like this would work nicely for that:

.. and be useful around the house/crawlspace/outdoors afterwards.

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #73
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967

Ok, for what it's worth, we used to use multiple coolers; one food cooler and one drink cooler per day. We also had a cooler exclusively for lunch.
First day cooler was that day's dinner, next morning's breakfast and next day's lunch.
When we got to camp, we'd open the food cooler, get dinner out, repack the lunch cooler for the next day, and leave enough ice to keep the next morning's breakfast cold. The rest of the ice went to the drink cooler.

So, for a 5 day trip we'd have 4 food coolers, one lunch cooler, and 4-5 drink coolers.

Food coolers were duct taped shut, sealed, and buried. They did not come off the boat until we needed what was in them. Everyone was warned; food coolers are off limits, DO NOT TOUCH.

We followed this practice on my first Grand Canyon trip and had ice as long as we had beer; to about day 12.

We used grocery block ice and dry ice. We were simple heathens in those days.

Course, we had a 28' pontoon and an 18' Campways for 8 people; space was not an issue and we had access to as many coolers as we needed.

All the yack about draining/not draining, dry ice, freeze em into a block of ice, is secondary to keeping the damn lid CLOSED.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #74
Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
I have 3 identical nrs 128 coolers, a chest freezer and a large heated garage.
I'm also a nerd. I might do an experiment this month while things are slow.

Frozen blocks not drained
Frozen blocks drained
Frozen blocks in sealed jugs

A race to 40 degrees sound realistic for safe food temps?

Opened daily to check thermometers.

Results with pics posted at the end.

Who wants to kick starter me?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Screw the baggies and the Tupperware bins. THIS is THE test. May I suggest the including of a twelve-pack of beer in each cooler, and the last cooler able to produce a 40 degree beer wins. Would be an easy way to measure temp (Open cooler, remove a beer, pour it, take its temp, then dispose of the beer responsibly.)
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #75
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by ridecats View Post
Screw the baggies and the Tupperware bins. THIS is THE test. May I suggest the including of a twelve-pack of beer in each cooler, and the last cooler able to produce a 40 degree beer wins. Would be an easy way to measure temp (Open cooler, remove a beer, pour it, take its temp, then dispose of the beer responsibly.)
Ya, I can go with this test as an answer to the age-old question. As for kickstarter, I'll get the first 12-Pack for one of the coolers. They probably need to be the same brand and packaging, being a scientific experiment and all.

I'd usually offer up PBR, but my penchant to 'shop local' has me a little conflicted in that their parent company was just sold to a Russian company. So I'm open to suggestions as to the test subject.

Regardless, The QA/QC after party sounds like fun.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #76
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
you're thinking along the same lines as i was but with a funner way to do it. there has to be some content in the coolers whose temperature is being measured. beer sounds good. i was thinking more along the lines of identical water containers at the same start temp in each cooler and measuring the water temp over time but your way definitely has more flair.

on another note...

the main argument for draining is to replace conductive water with insulating air between the outside and the cooler contents. but, what you also get is air insulating the space between the cooler contents and the ice. so, you save your ice, but the contents are not kept as cool. that may be good enough if your contents just need to be kept from getting too hot (like chocolate). and, it should mean the ice will last longer.

it really does seem to come down to whether you are trying to save your ice (and keep the contents cool but not real cold other than the stuff that's right up against the ice) or keep the food contents as cold as possible for as long as possible but your ice won't last as long.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #77
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
All my friends have access to The shop I would use, I don't dare leave beer unattended for a week in there. Maybe PBR, but not beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #78
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Just a quick follow up. I vacuum packed everything and precooked, freezing everything down solid. I put a couple of blocks of ice in the cooler and all the frozen food, put 20lbs of dry ice on top. When I got to Flagstaff lined the bottom of the cooler (146 qt NRS) with high quality ice blocks and all the still frozen food along with another 20lbs of dry ice. Inside the cooler was insulating silver bubble wrap on top and the cooler was covered with good cover at all times. The cooler was opened on river day nine for the first time to cook my meals, ice looked like it was approx. 25% melted. Day 14 the cooler opened again for those meals and the ice was only 50% melted. At that point everyone started using the cooler for beer and it got opened about 10 times a day, the ice lasted another 3 days.
So the ice lasted for 17 days on the river and a total of 22 days before being completely depleted.
Still a drainer....
The trip was awesome regardless!
Thanks to Brady, saw you at the ramp but didn't get a chance to say hi, and everyone with the good tips.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #79
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So the ice lasted for 17 days on the river and a total of 22 days before being completely depleted.
Same exact cooler but I froze mine solid and didn't vacuum pack my food. I left Boulder, CO with it frozen solid. We drove to Lees ferry with a day stop over then put on the next day - so 25 days. On day 18 (river day 16) I opened my cooler and everything was mostly frozen in the center but there was a 3-4" perimeter around the block that was just airspace.

On day 25 we took out at Pearce and there was still ice - minimal but still there.

The big difference is that other than visiting my cooler 4 or 5 times before the trip the prep and maintenance of getting the cooler ready was minimal. Of course this is under the premise that you have a walk in freezer to do this with.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote