Old 04-28-2014   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I agree with many of the responses...get to Colorado or Utah, drive or fly and get on the Arkansas River for an overnight or even a multiday trip. The upper colorado at pumphouse also has multi day options and if you really want the desert experience there is Westwater, Cataract Canyon and Desolation/Gray Canyon. Or you could go local and head up to the peshtigo and menominee rivers on the Wisconsin/UP border and get in a couple of really affordable days camping and rafting/inflatable kayaking. That time of the year is awesome and it is half the drive that going to the New River in West Virginia or the Ocoee/Nolichucky/Pigeon/Natahala in Tennessee. Best of luck, nothing better than rafting on your birthday!

wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #12
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by katafotik View Post
Osprey and the rest of the guys, thanks a lot for good advises.
I guess this year no rafting.. (again) Oh well.
Still want to celebrate my BD at The Grand Canyon. Looked at one day kayaking tours. Price is $130 (fits to my budget).

Now just need to decide where to sleep etc. Would anybody know a good place on Lake Powell? Any cabins for rent or good and safe campgrounds?
There is a great 3 day Grand Canyon Trip you might be able to do this year.
Its a hike.

Down one trail from the south rim.
Spend a night in the bottom.
Part way up a different trail and camp.
Then all the way up the 3rd day.

You have to apply for these campsites and depending on your dates this may not be doable this year. The campsite half way back up fills up quickly and with Illinois hiking experience I'd recommend only trying this hike with that camping permit.

Many hikers blister up badly on the way down.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #13
There's a lot of good rafting to be had that's not in the grand canyon. Go to Cataract Canyon in Utah and raft - if you've never been to the Grand you won't know the difference.

Or chose one of hundreds of options in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, California etc.

Regardless, the Grand is best on a longer trip - the shorter trips are on motorized barges (read: not rafting).
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #14
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You want to have a good time for your birthday? You should book a trip on the Arkansas River with Good Times Rafting. You'll have an amazing time paddling exciting whitewater, see a beautiful place, and you can get there quickly from Denver International Airport - an airport so outdoorsy it's in a tent!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #15
Wheeling, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2010
[QUOTE=restrac2000;357178]Not to add to the buzz kill but....I have spent a lot of time kayaking Lake Powell and I can't imagine much worse of a first experience then paying good $$ for a one day trip in the middle of June. It will be bloody hot as the monsoon really hasn't started yet and you will have little to no cloud coverage. As well it will be wicked crowded anywhere you can in a single day, be it Wahweap or Bullfrog area. I think you will be disappointed with the amount of bang for the buck you get considering you are flying out.

If you are dead set on that trip then you can launch from the Lone Rock area and camp across from them. You can launch at Wahweap and circumnavigate Antelope Island. All camping on Lake Powell is primitive is oernighting on the reservoir via boat or you can do day paddles and use one of the NPS campsites.

If I were you I would look into an overnight Westwater trip. Great rapids. Classic run. Beautiful camping. You can spend extra time in Moab or Grand Junction.

Just my two cents but I would save your $$ and wait until you can do a proper SW trip with lots of time....trips often get cheaper the longer they are.

Thanks Phillip for the answer.

Wow I am so lost now. So what should I do? Could someone point me into the right direction?

1-I want to see The Canyons that is for sure. And I want to see it this summer on my birthday. Grand Canyon or any other fun Canyons +river will do.
2- I want to see it from the river. I think from the river the view is the best. Correct me if I am wrong.
3- After the day on the river I want to do a BBQ where my friends and I can do the celebration of my birthday.

Any idea how to organize this trip so everybody will have fun?
We will have only 2 days in the Canyons and around $200 per person per day to spend there. (not incl food)
katafotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by katafotik View Post

1- any other fun Canyons +river will do.

3- After the day on the river I want to do a BBQ where my friends and I can do the celebration of my birthday.

and around $200 per person per day to spend there. (not incl food)

yeah, with such a limited budget, i'd recommend the Royal Gorge on the Arkansas in Colorado for the b-day day trip. It's a canyon you will not forget. Lots of free or cheap, very good pay camping in the area up river too. The second day for day tripping Browns Canyon on the Ark. Very scenic but different from the Gorge. That should fit the budget pretty close. You are probably SOL for guided multi-day trips in that $$$ range.

btw, westwater is a great run but that's usually in the $300-400 range for a guided overnighter.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Maybe for this bday you should look into floating the New River in West Virginia. It is a beautiful canyon and lots of fun white water. I bet it would be much more budget friendly. You could almost certainly drive there with your friends. I think it is considered the Grand Canyon of something. Either WV or the East. Might be a consideration. I ran it a few times back in the 80s and have great memories of it.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote