Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 05-17-2016   #1
Crested Butte, Colorado
GC trip 6/27 launch -WANTED: 3 Boatman/ experienced GC rowers

WANTED: 3 experienced & fun boatmen/ experienced river runners for a private trip down the Grand Canyon with a small chill crew of 2 couples (40’s/early 50’s) from Crested Butte Colorado. After 5 years we won the lottery! what!@#$ we leave 6/27 Lees Ferry to Pearce/18 days (Rig/ shuttle 6/26). Our GC experienced oar men/ gals had to bail (we’re river people but not experienced technically enough to run by ourselves -we can row the flat water etc) so looking for 3 guides w/ previous serious GC experience to join our trip ! We’re getting everything set up food, boat set up’s, shuttle to and from Flag etc. Just show up with personal gear! We may have one more spot for a “boatmen’s friend/ S.O.”. Hit me if you’re interested, we’re on a fast timeline for filing the rooster. TX Monica - skimonica at gmail.com

skimonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #2
Paddling Since: 1994
If you have a handful of miles on the oars you'll do fine. The GC is one of the best spots to learn to REALLY row a boat. The current and eddies may beat you up for a couple days but you'll come out an experienced big water boater. If you are renting 18' rigs, they are pretty forgiving in the whitewater and once you learn how they row and what the current does to them you'll have a blast. Obviously you cant drop sideways in the ledge hole and come out unscathed but youll have it together by then. What I am saying is, if you dont find your "guides" you can make the trip, assuming you are river people and have a little experience at the oars

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #3
Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Just personal opinion...have rowed a dozen Grand trips (1/2 commercial, half private)...last one 2013 to "lake" mead (and we had a motor past diamond).
I would never take out below diamond creek....there's a few fun rapids, no lake, even past Grand wash Cliffs...just 100 foot walls of loose sand.
End of July, so frigin hot, river 60 degrees down there, and can't jump off boats to cool off unless you get captian to cut motor.
Pierces rapid looks unrunnable, currently; I've hear they put in very long schlepp to pierces fairy take out. (Don't know where we took out.)
It was river left, with ramp and porta potty...3 days after diamond.

The old temp[le Bar, I remember being in the lake, on left, with dock. First trip I did in '86, tied together, floated, camped on island (you could see bat caves) and got tow to pierces. Was down in various takeouts past diamond through late 90s, and early 2000's...what I saw in 2013 was unrecognizable. Take maximum days (16?) in July?, and go to Diamond. Just my opinion. Wonder how others feel now that lake level is 1000 or less above sea level.
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #4
Paddling Since: 1994
Go to Pearce. You get 2-3 more days on the river for less than the cost of taking out at diamond, dont have to drive the road out, and are an hour from Vegas so you can go get some serious culture shock.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #5
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Pearce, definitely. I did a Pearce takeout last week, as I've done each of the past 10 years or so. I never want to use Diamond again!

We got lucky that we didn't have wind. We rowed to mile 248 the first day past Diamond, then all the way to Pearce the next.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #6
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
third the pearce take out. less $$, more flexibility because your shuttle vehicles are waiting for you rather than having to be brought in on a prearranged date/time with no window for change, canyon is gorgeous below diamond, plenty of hikes, plenty of places to camp in spite of the silt banks, floating out as the grand canyon disappears is a cool way to bring the journey to a close, etc, etc. choppers are a pain but can be minimized by planning.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #7
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
And, it feels good to go through the entire Grand Canyon.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #8
San Jose, California
Paddling Since: 1973
Congratulations on getting a permit. I'm an experienced boatman looking to join a trip. I'll try to send you a separate email but thought I'd write something here as a back up.

Aquaphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #9
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Fourth Pierce. I will never use Diamond again on a private trip. I really like Diamond down. Just don't let the helicopters drive you nuts. Moon them instead. Or pack enough booze that you can party barge it out.

MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote