Old 09-04-2013   #1
Larkspur, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
GC spots- July 2014

I have received the sacred parchment authorizing a launch on July 8th. Itís gonna be HOT. Of course, immediately upon notifying the group, two of our experienced captains backed out. So we are down to me and one other, both former guides in CO, and both with GC experience. We are looking for a couple more to row, to help fill out the 16-person permit.
We are planning to rent all the gear and have the food pack done by Moenkopi. Estimated cost is $1,000/person excluding transportation to/from Flagstaff.
The plan is to take 19 days and take out at Pierce.
Trip makeup is my friend and I, in our 50ís (I actually will turn 50 on the trip), our 3 kids (age 17-19), and several 40-ish others. None of these others have the experience to row the canyon, and they donít have a boat to ride on at the moment. We all like our cocktails, but are not big partiers. At the moment, like many GC trips, it looks guy-heavy. We have two females committed so far, and a couple others on the fence.
We also have one kayaker that is probable.
Anyway, we need a couple people who can row. Other experience (EMT, SWR, etc.) would be great, since besides my buddy and I and the kayaker it will be a fairly green group. You could bring another person along to ride on your boat, and then ideally have a spot for one more. Or if itís just you, and there are two spots, thatís good too. Also would consider another kayaker, so the two of you can do synchronized tricks to keep those of us on the rafts entertained.
Send me a PM if interested.

hagenhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #2
Multiple ridiculous post from people saying they did this trip with no renting or food packs for 113.00 per person including gas coming in

Aaahhhhh ramin in the ditch!!!!!

nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #3
Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
GC spots

Sounds like a trip I might be interested in joining. Rowed the canyon in '09, private trip. Will be 49 next summer. Am a Physical Therapist and have been a part time raft guide for almost 20 years. Also have a daughter who will be 17 next summer. Live in NC. Message me if interested. Thanks Dan
Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #4
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Multiple ridiculous post from people saying they did this trip with no renting or food packs for 113.00 per person including gas coming in

Aaahhhhh ramin in the ditch!!!!!
Actually, A grand for full rental is pretty cheap IMO. I've never seen crazy claims of the number you just posted. I'm sure it was tongue-in-cheek. We did it for $6-650 in '09, depending on where you took out, DC or SC. We did our first trip as a full PRO rental for $1200 pp in '06. Now the folks saying $2000 for a full rental...that's crazy!
Since we're in this age group and had to bail on a GC trip that launches next week(due to a parent's illness), we'd be interested if it wasn't July.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
Any trip on the GC is a good time

Does not matter how a group sets the trip up. It is all good.

Mo does a good job on the food and you will not go hungry.

Putting together your own raft and gear is a full day in the hot sun, expensive to haul out there, but it is fun.

By the same token, it sure is nice to have all that food packed and help getting it into your raft plus have good gear for the trip professionally rigged.

Every group is different in some ways but it all comes down to getting down the river for how ever many days the permit holder decides.

Like I said, it is all good. A trip of a life time that we all hope to do multiple times.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #6
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds like a great trip and I'm planning to take my kids down next summer and looking for a great group. Sounds like yours will fit nicely. I'll be 48, son 18, daughter 15. Son and I did GC 3 years ago in 14 ft NRS and son did whole thing in inflatable kayak. Lots of experience rafting, and both kids and myself are great help around the camp. No formal EMT training but lots of knowledge.
I know you said to PM but I'm on mobile app and couldn't find it.
Also have another female friend who has IK'd the GC on same trip who would be good addition.

jirwindisc is offline   Reply With Quote