Old 04-16-2015   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Gates shuttle info

I'm looking for info on the shuttle for the Gates of Ladore. We are coming from Durango.

-Companies that run the shuttle?

-Plane options?

-How long does it take if we drive it?

-Is there a dinosaur museum for the kids? Where is it?

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #2
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
River Runners are good people. Dino museum is at the take out (or rather nearby). Don't know of any plane strips near Lodore put-in, closest may be Maybell. Others who know more can chime in.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Used River Runners as well twice with good results. Haven't heard of plane options but bet it would be interesting and cool to fly back over.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #4
Just like DT said. Never used anyone besides river runners. Don't know of a flight option like deso has. Hit the visitors center after you take out, great exhibit. It's about 140 miles each way, 50+ on a small 2 lane. Talking 6 hours rt. RR is a good idea for that one, Yampa is a much easier self shuttle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #5
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
We've self shuttled it before and then paid river runners to bring down the return vehicle to reduce cost. Going back to the put-in would be way out of your way and totally worth paying to not have to. Also, depending on where you stay your last night, flows and wind conditions that last day can be long!
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #6
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I did a plane shuttle a couple of times back in the 90's with Dinaland Aviation out of Vernal. It was pretty crazy. They just landed on the county road a mile or so from the put in. The road seemed to have pretty limited sight distance where they landed, so they circled a couple of times to make sure no one was coming, landed, kicked you out the door and took off. Haven't heard of anyone doing it recently. Highly recommended if you can get someone to do it.
river runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #7
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
used river runners two weeks ago. No complaints
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #8
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
One more recommendation for river runners, the best shuttle company I have dealt with period

The nat park visitors center and display are worthwhile. The state park museum, run by a friend of mine from grad school, is also really good. It is on the main drag right across the street from the brew pub (which I also recommend).

Have fun
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015   #9
River Runners are great, they will do everything in thier power to make sure that things go as smothly as possible. We had a rig lose the fuel pump at the put in after we launched. Between them and our friends that could not make the trip with us they made sure we had a vehicle to get us on the road that night. Props to any one who will go the extra mile to help out us silly ol river folks. This will be my 14th trip through Lodore this next Friday and I have used River Runners all but one time. My brother did shuttle my truck once, and after that he said that would be the only one he ever
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #10
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
We did Gates of Ladore to Split Mountain last year. We used River Runners as a shuttle, they were terrific

wacow15 is offline   Reply With Quote