Old 08-10-2015   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I really enjoy October floats through Lodore. Make sure to have warm clothes for everyone and good splash gear. Even small splashes will make people cold. When we were there a couple of years ago closer to the end of October, the temps were in the 60s, water was 47 degrees. Luckily we had enough dry suits/splash gear to keep our kids warm. I was in my shorts still....

Haven't seen one other boat the whole trip, we camped where looked good, since all sites were open. Great trip.

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #12
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by galljr13 View Post
I've got my first Gates of Lodore trip beginning October 9th. We Plan on running the ABC section into Gates taking three days for the first part and 5 for Gates.

Two Questions:

What is the water level like usually at that time of year or how can I found out?

Can a 16ft raft make it down with no issue or should I take my 13ft raft?

Thanks for the info.
Just came off a nine day trip. Glad I used 4 days on the ABC section. Certainly can be done in 3. Section C is slow and did get minor sticks on the sand bars. If you have wind section C would be very slow. Be certain to look for the distant view of the gates about half way through section C, a amazing site way in the distance. Do stop at the jarvice? Ranch the dug out home was pretty cool.

RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #13
Denver, Aurora, Kremmling, Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Stuck in HHM!

So, just for your entertainment, you should check out what NOT to do at the bottom of HHM. I wasn't paying attention and this is what happened. I forgot that the GoPro was recording. Oh, and I should mention that I ran left of Lucifer with no problems. It CAN be done. LOl!

softsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Did first week of November last year; it was great (weather and flows were fine -- 1.5K at Greendale when we put in at Gates). Obviously cool nights and early mornings, but delightful during the day. That said, I did wear my drysuit (13' cat solo) -- didn't want a wet swim in November (didn't swim, though). The little bit of rain while on the river was of course no problem with the drysuit -- rain was timed well -- mostly while sleeping. Saw nobody else -- oh, except a group we passed getting it together at Island Park on our way out.
Of course, weather is hard to predict -- Did April Yampa in 2014 and it was really nice; this year wet and cold most of the time -- even a bit of snow.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #15
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I have done 2 fall trips, both glorious. I think a 16 ft boat with soft tubes and relatively light load would be much better than a 13 - it is not a technical rock fest but shallows are a minor issue and a bigger boat floats higher.

paulster is offline   Reply With Quote