Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 05-17-2014   #11
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
And his brother George, who now may have the only Twin Islander available.

cataraftgirl, boicatr was talking about G&S Aviation for the having an Islander.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
cataraftgirl, boicatr was talking about G&S Aviation for the having an Islander.
Yep, I saw that. Do any of the others fly Islanders? That's what we have always used. We usually use 2 Islanders. Not sure how that would work with just 206s. They are a bit skimpy on space for rafts & frames from what I remember???

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #13
Marblemount, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Seems like an odd turn of events. Not sure I am buying the reasoning since their same planes flying back country also fly the city to city for the most part. Unless they are completely revamping their fleet. We too have used them many times for flying out of salmon. I have to wonder if there is a connection with the tragic accident last fall that killed their great pilot Dan Wilson and two hunters, flying a 206. Was a very sad deal.

For flying in from McCall I would recommend Mike Doris, there is no finer back country pilot around. And his brother George, who now may have the only Twin Islander available. And I will fly with Walt from Arnold with complete confidence.

Indeed it"seems like an odd turn of events". I just read that the "No Compete" clause in the sale of Salmon Air to McCall expired in May. The previous owners of Salmon Air (JoAnn and Dan) have started a new company (Gem Air) to fly their new Kodiak city to city out of Salmon. Apparently the Islanders are for sale to someone in Alaska.

G&S (George Dorris) has the only remaining twin flying the backcountry. It's hard to imagine anyone more experienced than Mike, George and Bill Dorris (Sawtooth Aviation). They were McCall Air way back when. I just wonder how much longer they're going to want to work!

jeporch is offline   Reply With Quote