Old 03-22-2016   #1
Sturgis, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2003
For anybody planning a trip with strangers...

Below is a link to a story born in the back alleys of Mountain Buzz. This happened to me and it was awful and amazing. The way every trip with strangers should be. (Episode 93) Dirtbag Diaries

A Slosh in the Bucket | The Dirtbag Diaries : The Dirtbag Diaries

johnseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #2
bozeman, Montana
I've met a few "bucket list Bill's", funny how those dudes are universally all the same. Did he ever own up to his shit show at the take out or still oblivious? Good story man, hope you're still getting on the water.

Sent from my QMV7B using Mountain Buzz mobile app

patrick l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #3
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like great learning, but wow. Hopefully your next random group will be more in-line with your expectations. Is the rest of your family ready to join you on a trip? Or were they before this one happened? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #4
I broke another paddle
Indio, California
Paddling Since: 2011
Send a message via Skype™ to Elkhermes
I listened to the podcast this morning. I absolutely loved it!
It was entertaining as hell.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Elkhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
He is defiantly a gluten for punishment, a week before this trip he did a family trip down the Smith River in Montana. 8 adults and 7 kids for 5 days, I think the family had fun on that trip (no drama).
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #6
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Listened to the podcast, thanks for sharing. I think all of us have those stories and that's why most of us still boat

Glad you came out alive, what boat did you end up getting?
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #7
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Just finished listening - Great story. I loved to hear that you would do it again! Throughout the tale, I was thinking - this is one of those stories you tell your grand kids; something mentioned in remembrance after you've gone..."remember when he jumped on that Main trip"....and the laughs and fond memories flow.

Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, I will be stuck here in Moorcroft, WY on and off for the next year or so - supposedly on a 2 week on 4 week off rotation (thus far I've been here 9 weeks in 2016 - that should tell you how that rotation is working out). Anyways, if you want a paddler for garage run some time hit me up! Or just get together for a beer and talk boats.... either way.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #8
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Hey Grif
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016   #9
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I was on that trip. Bill's story had babies by the end. He not only had run that stretch 8 times, but by the end had run it a few more times at high water. But it was fun. More fun than a trip where people take things too seriously. It was anything but dull. Danger, drama, potential violence, it had it all. I was looking for an adventure, and it's hard to blame Bill for delivering it. But I've been running rivers for about 30 years longer than Eric, and have been on some desperate trips before. I did feel sorry for the two women, but Bill would not let them ride on anyone else's boat, so that was that. Happy trails! Bob
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016   #10
Sturgis, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2003
Bob is alright!

He was there. And I said it from the first--I like Bob!

johnseri is offline   Reply With Quote