Old 09-18-2014   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
A little foot rot is nothing compared to the funk, gunk, and acid drainage (which dissolves drygear) found in alot of beautiful WV rivers.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #22
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
If you really get the Tolio badly, it will burn so badly that it will be intolerable. Unlike any athletes foot I have ever had!

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #23
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
If you really get the Tolio badly, it will burn so badly that it will be intolerable. Unlike any athletes foot I have ever had!
Since topical antibiotic ointments help you....have you ever had it looked at by a dermatologist to see what the secondary bacterial infection actually is? According to the limited researched linked earlier the cream shouldn't actually deal with the core issue of chilblains which they claim is "tolio".

Sounds debilitating whatever it is. A lot of sympathy for those who experience it.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #24
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
As a driver, I always say "tolio" is spread from the windshield of the trucks where everyone sticks their bare feet.
I always use a tea-tree tincture spray and it works also. Take care of you feet. Lotion up every night before bed.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #25
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Restrac2k, It goes away from most folks within 24 hours of leaving the river. I have never had mine sampled. If I feel a tingle on my feet, I apply "earthworm-my-sin". It works. It is, or can be debilitating. Most guides carry the stuff. We and our peeps are happy with happy feet! I have given mine to private trips with the malady that had several days left on the water when I was close to getting off the river, because I know how horrible tolio can be. Tell your Doc what it does for where you are going, promise not to eat it, and you should get a prescription. Worth it!!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #26
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by OldandBitter View Post
We were on at the end of July. One guy came down with a nasty eye infection (Eyegore), I lost 2 toenails because of collisions with rocks but no foot infections.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Eyeball Gore is nasty!

"A true patriot must always be prepared to defind his country against its government." Edward Abbey
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #27
four corners, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Anybody had it show up a week later and or other places on the body?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
bshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #28
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Trench foot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Immersion foot syndromes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not exactly the same, but related. I led a Philmont trek some years ago. Every day before they put their boots on, I had my kids strip off their socks, lay on their backs and hold their feet in the air, and then inspected each and every toe. Military experience taught me this - foot rot is amazingly common, any problems compound quickly and sometimes severely, you have to catch it early.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote