Old 03-31-2015   #1
nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1987
Fishing Yampa in April..

One more question..actually two..

plan to throw and swing some big streamers along the way..wondered if any experienced folks had feedback on the quality of fishing on the Yampa..hatches? big browns?

Also..there are a couple of no shows..all paperwork submitted..and wondered if name changes were common or not..and if so ..i have a couple of spots open..if not big deal.

reelrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #2
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014

I have always wanted to floatfish the Yampa but know 0 about it.

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #3
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
what section are talking about? lots of water on the yampa.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #4
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Assume you mean through the monument. I'm sure there's the occasional brown in there ,but you may want to target the pike and smallmouth.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #5
nashville, Tennessee
Deerlodge to Split Mt...thought it may be too high..but ya never know..Im bringing a flyrod and maybe svn a travel spinning rod..
Old 03-31-2015   #6
nashville, Tennessee
Oh..good deal..smallmouth and pike..that would be nice to catch a few..will bring the smallie flies..nice thanks!
Old 03-31-2015   #7
Might depend on if you want to buy a CO or Utah license or both. A lot of people will wait and fish the area around Jones Hole, that creek and the Green right below it hold nice trout. The Yampa as a fishery is generally considered a long way upstream from there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #8
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Catfish and roundtail chub can be caught pretty easy too. Gotta release the roundtails.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #9
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
I fished the Yampa trough the monument when I was young. Loads of Channel Cats and Suckers. And the occasional endangered species. The only trout will be at Jones Hole. The bottom of the creek in the river or up the creek. Jones is on the Utah side of the monument. Check the fishing regs. They are the same as the section below the damn. The fishing is artificial only.
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #10
Paddling Since: 1994
Take your creek rod and plan on spending as much time at Jones hole as possible. The non anglers in the group can take a great hike and you can catch lots of trout in a tiny little creek. I like a 6ft 2 wt. Lots of overhanging brush so shorter the better. If the hoppers and/or cicadas are out, use those. If not, a 12/14 royal coachman has never disappointed. Ive caught 2 inch trout on a 1 inch hopper, and then a 20 inch trout right behind it. Double ups are common..... if you're doubled up.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote