Old 06-21-2014   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
First Voyage Today

Happy Summer....

We took our new boat on it's maiden voyage today. My wife, brother and our five year old son took our new 12' RMR down the Arkansas 'Milk Run' this afternoon. I've had the boat since early April, but since I'm a new boater with a young child I've been waiting for flows to drop back down. I'll probably be bummed some day that I missed the big flows this year has provided, but as a novice I know better than trying to get into the water when it's been running as fast as it has been for the past 4 weeks or so.

We decided to head out today after talking with friends and the AHRA Rangers. The Milk Run is close enough to home, and offered a safer run for my first trip in almost twenty years at the helm. Our son was a trooper. It was a blast. I was nervous having the little guy on board, but this stretch is safe enough and we had a designated swimmer (if necessary) to save the little man.

The seasoned buzzards might mock, or consider us the "gapers" of the water, but it was a great feeling getting out and enjoying part of what makes Colorado so amazing. I have felt this type of excitement a few times (learning to snowboard years ago, and then again while learning to tele). There's something about being new at something that makes it super fun. Kinda like being a great downhill skier or boarder and taking up tele. Worrying about the little things that the experts take for granted. Having that nervous excitement all over again.

We have been on the river many times over the years, but I have only had a little time behind friends oars or as a paddler on friends boats. The last training I had was during a short stint spent on New & Gauley back in the summer of 95'.

I had promised to buy myself a boat more than once over the years, and nearly did after selling a 16' aluminum fishing boat almost 10 years ago. That money was gone before I ever even tried shopping for a raft. Finally decided to take the plunge this spring.

Thanks to all the buzzards who post on this site. The info, photos and opinions are really great. I have been lurking and reading since last summer watching for used equipment and trying to learn about gear options and rigging. Now we need to drag our friends into the sport (or make new ones on the river).

And thanks to the admin for providing this forum. We will try and support the companies that advertise on this site. Hoping to get a Riverboatworks frame before the summer ends. Finally, thanks for the encouraging words from the boaters at the put in. Yeee Freakin' Hahhh. Glad to be out there - good stuff. Looking forward to many more days enjoying our rivers.

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Glad to hear you got good info and had a great time!

Thanks for posting the TR.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #3
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Welcome to the raft owner's club. I have loved the chance to take novices and youngsters rafting on beautiful stretches of river, something I can't do with my whitewater canoe. When you get to take your son camping on Ruby Horsethief, I guarantee it will be a lifelong memory for all of you.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #4
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
A feel good story to start the day. Sounds like you are doing it right. Having someone designated as the official child safety officer is key for us. Simplifies things when we have a "stuff hits the fan" moment. I started my daughter at 4 (2 and a half on flat water) and in another year (she's almost 13) I think she will be able to fish me even in my big raft. She loves to row.

There will be another big water year to get your yayas out in the future. There will only be one time you can introduce your son to rafting at 5 years old.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That sounds fun and I think you handled the safety aspect well.

No go row some harder miles without the kid and learn to handle your new boat.

The stuff that hits the fan can happen in a quick moment even in easy water. Experiencing it first sans kid wood be a benefit. Do milk run then have m and kid pick you up at Hecla after going rough browns without them.

We've has our kid on the river since his first year. The closest calls were of the beach at camps. At five you should be pastor of that issue.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #7
Breckenridge, Colorado
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post

Old 06-23-2014   #8
superior, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
So.... recently I took a whitewater rafting trip - to be fair, it wasn't really a trip but more of a half day adventure - for a team building exercise for a company I work for. We floated the Royal Gorge with and it was a blast. I would like to get into whitewater kayaking, but recently moved here from land-locked Nebraska so never really had the opportunity for playing in the water much. I do own a loon 138T kayak and was thinking of maybe trying to float a few "tame" rivers or lakes to get loosened up and hone in my paddling skills then work into the whitewater part. Since I just moved to Colorado I am wondering if:
1. are there some tame rivers around here and how to I go about finding them?
2. Do you think my approach to get into whitewater kaykaying is a good one? I may add that I am no spring chicken, but do have a lot of adventure in me. I guess I am just trying to figure out the best way to learn the sport and also find some advice since none of my family or friends are remotely interested in doing this. Sorry for rambling - 1st time poster - hopefully long time learner.
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #9
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
You will be buying your second raft before you know it.
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #10
Breckenridge, Colorado
Thanks for the responses (especially upshitcreek's). Loon, I will let the more experienced boaters give you advice for learning the sport. But perhaps a whitewater class would be good. I enrolled in one at CMC, but was bumped due to space. I will try again when they offer it. I believe that the best thing would be to try and hook up with other boaters and go on an easy stretch of water.