First Trip for Family Arc or Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
First Trip for Family Arc or Colorado

I wanted to get some advice on this weekend for a day trip with GF and 3 early teen girls. I have experience mostly fishing on the Green, Gunnison Taylor and Stone Bridge to Rincon on the Arc, mostly class 2 and (3). Invested in a 16FT cat last season to fish and take the girls our on. I wanted to float something that would keep everyone's interest. With the current flows and having to float on Sunday dealing with traffic what would be our best option. Thank you in advance for any sugestions

Fastaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
We are down to low summer flows and yes keeping their interest is a factor, though not really all that difficult. The Salida to Rincon stretch offers the swim hole and cliff jumps at the S-curves just upstream from the Rincon Ramp, and that feature alone will make the entire trip worth it. Bring squirt guns and a paco pad makes for a great 'swimming dock' off the side in the calmer waters. If you are comfortable dodging the rocks with a full 16 footer in Brown's go for it, but that sounds challenging.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would also suggest the section from Trading Post to Texas Creek. Lot's of fun splashy class II water with no III's and excellent fishing. Plus it's all roadside if something goes wrong, and you will see significantly less congestion on the river down there.
Old 07-23-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
I appreciate the sugestions

I appreciate the suggestions. I was leaning towards going down to the Arc. We may not do it on this trip but do really want to take them down Browns. With the low flows and the size of the cat, how much more challenging would Browns be and what would be the best access having a trailer and take out. I am confident with my rowing skills on Class 2 water and looking to get more experience on class 3. Would going into Browns be too steep of of step up?
Old 07-23-2016   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Yes- you'll pinball your way between large midstream boulders in that rig at these flows. Ugly

I'd take em down pump house on the upper C. Hot springs and a jumping cliff are hard to beat w teenagers

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Agree with Osseous. if you'r comfortable with Class II, don't go to the Arkansas River at these flows - it's highly technical at those flows and you need to be able to row, maneuver, and react without having to about stop and think about what you're doing.

If you've never run Brown's you may want to go down it in a paddle boat or as a rider first to get an idea of what you'll be getting into. Taking the family down on your first time while stepping your game up to a new level may be a bit much.

Pumphouse to State Bridge will be an option, and likely crowded on a weekend, and there's another 50 miles of Class II w/ occasional Class III Colorado River below SB, and more between the Grizzley Creek rest area in Glenwood Canyon and Newcastle. Due to the road construction in Glenwood, an option would be to put in at Two Rivers Park and float to Newcastle.

If you run mainly Class II, you may want to consider renting inflatable kayaks for the teens - sitting on your cat may be boring for them.

Have a great time!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Hit Brown's next year at about 1200-1800 cfs for your easiest lesson. Fishermans Bridge kinda sucks with hauling your rig to the river, so use either River Runners or Ruby Mountain CG for your launch, take out at Hecla. Seidel's Suckhole is about a mile downstream of Hecla along an easy footpath if you want to take a look at it, which you should before you run it.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #8

Denver, Colorado
Great advice everyone and thank you. I think I am definitely going to wait on Browns till next year at the right flows for the girls. Should have thought of this first to look at the fishing conditions. Floating the Arc from Salida looks like its on for the fishing. If the girls start acting up I'm going to tell them that 'I'm going to pull this cat over right now and fish.
Old 07-23-2016   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
FYI, it's Ark, not Arc. Short for Arkansas River.
Old 07-23-2016   #10

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Kinda like how some peeps spell the Dolores -- Delores. You can't blame that on spellcheck.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote