Old 05-04-2015   #1
Boise, Idaho
First Rogue Trip

I have my first Rogue trip coming up soon. It'll be 3 boats and 6 people and we are looking forward to it. I have a few questions and I'm hoping some folks will share what they know. I just got the updated Leidecker book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Can anyone recommend a shuttle company? We will have 2 rigs, one with a trailer. It's Grave's to Foster bar right?

We will be driving down the day before put in. Is there anywhere to camp at/near the put in?

I've been reading some of the older posts and it sounds like there are more bears than what I've seen on Idaho rivers. What's standard operating procedure with bears?

BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #2
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Galice store runs shuttle, there are others but we have always used Galice. You can camp at Alameda bar, just downstream from Rand. There is a boat ramp there. No need to go to Graves creek to launch. Be bear safe, keep a clean camp and use the electric bear fences, and/or boxes which are in most of the camps. Watch out for the raccons as well.
Have fun!

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #3
Portland, Oregon
Alameda is good and nice put-in as mentioned --- may have a yurt too. Absolutely no reason to go to Graves Creek. There is literally a rapid 100 yards downstream from Graves ramp and I prefer a little warmup

I use Sharon at affordable shuttles --- have used her many many times with no issue.

If you want a good meal and some beers stop off at baldinis in Merlin.

Enjoy --- awesome stretch of river!'n

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #4
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
We camp at Argo, it is free and the last camp before Grave creek. If you head upstream from there you will find other camp grounds to camp at, so I wouldn't worry too much about finding one.
We have always used Galice down there and they have been great to use. They also have rooms, food, and a small general store where you can get last minute forgotten items.
I have done the Rogue in May and September, and and my last May trip I saw a sow and 2 cubs along the water's edge about 2 miles from the takeout. We use the bear fences and boxes, and we keep everything locked up when they aren't available. I would love to go in the middle of summer when the bears are out more.
Have fun, it is a beautiful trip!
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #5
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
I always recommend Affordable Shuttles for shuttles. She has always done right by me. You'll get plenty of opinions on shuttles. primative camping is available at Argo. I typically drive down to grave and scout the put in a Grave's but if it's a shit show Argo is a good alternative. If Your doing a 3 day the extra miles to Argo shouldn't be an issue but Alemdia gets A bit Long. Stop at Raine, Whisky ck, Zane Gray's, Rogue River Ranch and Paradise for a look. The bears don't get hot and heavy till the end of summer usually but they are around. Skunks and Racoons can also also a menace. Scout Blossom. It's easy till it's not and it goes bad fast.

Have fun and be safe.
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #6
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
I always recommend Affordable Shuttles for shuttles. She has always done right by me.
Affordable Shuttles x2

Argo has an outhouse but no water. Get water at the Galice Store or Almeda Campground. If you camp at Argo, rig your boats the day before and launch there to avoid the crowd at Grave Creek.

Bears should not be much of an issue this time of year. Not many dead salmon or berries along the river now. The high country is still green and I think the bears are mostly up there this time of year.

Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Scout Blossom. It's easy till it's not and it goes bad fast.
Not a boat scout. Too many people die there.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #7
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Alameda is a nice campground and very wide, paved boat ramp with tons of room for your party and other groups to rig their boats the day before without being on top of each other. Galice resort for shuttles and even diner the night before. I've seen a bear almost every trip but with the right precautions they have never been a problem. It's a great trip. Have fun.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #8
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Alameda. Affordable. Get on the river early to avoid confrontation getting a site. Take as many days as you can afford. Bears? Use the fences where available. Stack coolers outside of your boats and away from sleeping areas.
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
Good advice above.

If all the raft captains know the moves at Blossom Bar, you are good to go except I recommend a scout from the river right bluff no matter what the experience level.

If any first timers at the oars, make sure to discuss the lines and have them watch a few rafts make the run. Best to watch from the hiker trail just a bit below the critical moves entering the rapid. As mentioned above and in my opinion Blossom Bar is easy till you miss a move and then it can be real nasty. And, it is not over till you clear the last down stream rock. I recommend first timers also get some instruction from the river left eddy stage spot. That first move is easy if you line up, row with the right power and hit the spin spot to get around the picket fence. A pin on the picket fence tho is not good. Awesome rapid, rest of the river is a joy to row and the camps are all outstanding. YouTube has a bunch of good videos of Blossom Bar to get a good feeling of the line at Blossom.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #10
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008

I like Almeda for camping and launching. It is a county park with a full-time park host making it one of the safest launch sites although it sounds like you won't be leaving an unattended vehicle overnight. The county website has good pictures. Pay all your fees. Fines are steep.

cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote