Old 03-26-2014   #1
First Lodore trip of the year.

5 Boats 9 folks, low water....easiest way to go if your whole crew gets skunked in the lottery is go early!!!!

dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #2
Ok, it was not easy.....definately worth it though!!!!! 2nd year in a row we made the first launch of the year, Still a great trip!!! Lowest I have ever seen it.

Old 03-31-2014   #3
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Pictures, video, Trip report?
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #4
The drive through Irish Canyon was a balmy 27 degrees. We arrived at the put in and tested the sand bar. It was suitable to drive trucks and trailers out on with no problems( frozen ). We stopped a ways below Winneis and had lunch. This was my 12th time running Lodore and by far the lowest. There are many more rocks in the Diasters than one would think. We all had clean runs through Triplet. Hells was fun as I went right at Lucifer with my left tube climbing up the right side of the rock just a bit ( 2 feet ). Further down two of us got hung up on rocks. Camped at Ripling for the night. Hit Echo for lunch then on to Jones 4 as none of us had camped there before. Jones 4 is a good camp, it is just a ways from the spring and adds a ways to the hike up to the falls ( butt damm falls ). The last day we stopped just past Split ramp on river right and had lunch. The wind was very strong when we first got started, but luckily it got even stronger as we progressed down Split Mt.. I have spent some very windy days on the river ( Westwater, Owhee, Missouri, SW Wyoming and of course Lodore ).
This was not the longest I have had to row out in the wind, but probably the strongest wind I have ever been in. One of our group commented that this was the first time he had ever had the wind push him back up a rapid!!!! The take out which is usally a bummer for me was a great sight!!!!
Then the rain came down in buckets as we derigged, wind attempted to steal our tubes and send them to Deso!!!!
The trip was a great time as Lodore always is!!!! I was way to busy to man the camera, but my passenger did and I will share some pic's when I get them.
Be safe out there...