lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
My favorite Breakfast is Biscuits and Sausage gravy. I make it on most every trip It is great for a big group easy and fast to serve. I make a veggie gravy separate and put out peanut butter and jelly. Because of the charcoal I do try to make only on layovers or late start mornings.

Lunch is trail mix, summer sausage, cheese, crackers with a piece of fruit.

My favorite Dinner to cook is Spaghetti with meatballs, salad and garlic bread. Again because it is fast, easy and gets rave reviews. Also it is a good meal if there are vegetarians on the trip. Just some meatless sauce cooked separate for them and your good to go.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #12
Rifle, Colorado
Pulled Pork tacos. I slow cook a pork shoulder and bring a big bag of cabbage slaw and home made guacamole. It takes up some cooker room, but it's sooooo easy on the river, just heat up the meat and eat. Usually a big hit too, and easy clean up.

Last trip I went on I made a couple of quiches at home and froze them. Reheating on the river proved to be difficult, next time I will try a dutch oven. Also a big hit, and extremely easy cleanup. I used disposable pie pans.

JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
You need to post your recipe for the shepherds pie & a link to that book!

There are plenty of other dutch oven cookbooks out there too.

For the Shepherd's Pie...its actually relatively simple but can take a little while to make because it has to cook down. Here is how I do it...

First, you'll need the following:

- Ground Lamb (or Beef in a pinch or if you want to go cheaper). I've found that 2 pounds feeds 5 or 6 hungry people. I made this for a 14 person trip on the Yampa and I think I used 7 pounds and everyone seemed satisfied and there was no leftovers.

- 1 Onion and 3-4 carrots for every 2 pounds of meat.

- A couple cups of chicken stock...mostly for flavor but also to add a small amount of sauce and silkyness. You can find small containers of it in the soup isle. You can use broth too, but I prefer stock because it has more gelatin and thickens better.

- Fresh Garlic (4 cloves per pound), Rosemary and Thyme (either fresh or dried works)

- Your favorite red wine that you don't mind cooking with. I like a cheap shiraz, but any red wine works really. You don't need anything fancy, but don't go too cheap either. I've also made this with a good dark beer as well and it was great. I'm guessing a good hard cider would work too. Its to help deglaze(pull the flavor bits that stick to the pot as you are cooking) a bit and adds a lot of flavor.

- Salt and Pepper to season (higher quality the better).

- The best Mashed Potatoes you can manage. When I make it at home I do fresh potatoes and liberal amounts of butter and milk and garlic and maybe some parmesan or cheddar cheese. On river trips I usually do "spuds" i.e. freeze dried and it works pretty well. Idahoan makes several flavors that work well, but I usually get the garlic parmesan ones.

Prep for this is either grate or finely chop the carrots and onions. I use a food processor and just chop it up in there till they are pea sized (speaking of....peas go well in this too though I haven't made it with them time). The idea is that you don't want chunks of veggies. The idea is that they will break down a bit and become part of the "mince" as the British call it. Garlic will want to be minced as well.

To cook....brown the lamb in a large pot big enough to hold the meat, veggies, stock and wine/beer. If you are making fresh mashed potatoes you can boil the potatoes now too. Once the lamb is browned, add the veggies Garlic, Rosemary and Thyme and keep it on medium till the onions are translucent (3-5 minutes) and then add the chicken stock and wine/beer . Cover and Reduce till no liquid pools up on the bottom of the pan, stirring occasionally.

If you are making this all fresh at camp, I'd say add less stock and wine to shorten cooking time. When I made the big batch, it took an hour to reduce enough for my liking. I've had some pretty horrible version of shepherd's pie, and the number one sin is making it to soupy. You don't want it to be dry, but you don't want it to have too much liquid either.

Make your mashed potatoes and have them ready. Again, you don't want them to be dry, but not super wet either. You want them to be light and fluffy too, so butter is good but not too much.

Once the mince is reduced, add salt and pepper and additional rosemary and thyme (if needed) to season. Make sure the DO is well oiled (but not dripping with it) and dump the mince into it and spread it evenly. You can pack it down a little bit, but not too much. Lightly and evenly place the mashed potatoes on top of the mince. Try not to spread it as much as plop it on so it remains fluffy. You add a sprinkling of parmesan or cheddar or whatever your favorite cheese is for extra crispyness.

As far as coals for the DO, I know there are formula's for coals to equivalent oven temperatures, but I usually just toss them under the DO with about half an inch seperating them underneath the DO and pretty much cover the whole DO on top. Since everything is already cooked, you are just looking to heat it up from the bottom, but you want a bit more heat on top so it crisps the top of the mashed potatoes. When I do it at home, I'll cook it till it bubbles a bit at 350 covered in foil and then take the foil off and broil it till the mashed potatoes are golden brown on top.

From there, serve and enjoy. Some green veggies go well with it or a nice salad. I'll usually cut up some bread as well.

I know that was a bit long winded, but I promise its easier then I am probably making it seem. I found the recipe after seeing Gordon Ramsay make it on one of his TV shows and his official recipe is on the internet.

Here is the video. He has a few more ingredients that I don't use because I don't find them to make a big difference, but its basically how I make it....

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #14
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Sausage spinach pie with lotsa cheese, use premade pie dough

10" DO 375* 1.25 hrs
feeds 4-6

1 package chopped spinach-drained
1/2 lb sausage
1/2 lb grated moz. cheese
1/4 c ricotta
3 eggs

cook sausage, mix everything together
line DO with crust, add filling, crust on top

double for a 12" DO

this has been a repeat for the last too many years, but we still love it
kanoer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #15
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Baked Mac & Cheese
A DO delight
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #16
Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
"no Cook breakfasts"

If yo don't wanna deal with cooking in a.m., my favorite no cook breakfast is bagels, lox, cream cheese, capers. Can dress it up as much as you like. Can grill bagels on fry pan or griddle on stove if you like. Also, cereal, yogurt, fruit, instant oatmeal with toppings.
Long trips, you can use tortillas, or 'wraps' instead of bread for lu.nch sandwiches. Partner makes a great anaodised aluminum griddle, spreads hear super even, even on crummy propane stove.
We used one of those, and never bothered to have fire, break our firepan for cooking. Even with porkchops or burgers. You can basicall do anything you do at home. Can always make something in advand, and freeze before you go on river. Works like ice.
Another great trick, is fressing water in gallon jugs, or 5 gallon jugs, and when yr melts, you got more drinking water, instead of draining cooler, because melted icewater will gobble up yt ice fast, as well as cans.
Also, if you do pancakes for breakfasy, make extra and have them with peanut butter and jelly for lunch. Delicious!
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #17

Sorry for typos. Dictating to dyslexic monkey.
Old 07-04-2016   #18
Almost forgot! Two fabulous deserts. 1) Screaming orgasm cookies. Preheat D.O, grease, spread pillsbuty tube of choc. chip cookie dough on bottom, make filling with creamcheese (and sugar or fruit preserves) spread another tube of pillsbury choc. chip cookie dough and bakd in dutch. (Best D. O. trick I've learned.) If you can, use briquettes, they are hotter than cood coals, just put about 20% under bottom of dutch, (you can use metal oil pan if windy) pur underneath under perimeter of dutch, maybe on or two in center, and cover the lid of dutch with the rest. DO NOT LIFY OVEN TO CHECK. When you start getting wiffs of sookies, or cobbler, or water yt cooking, wait till you can't stand not checking, and then lift led with channel locks or whatever. It will be perfect, bottom never burns!
2) banana boats...have everyone do their own. Much better than smores. Take banana, still in peel, slice open inner side so you have a banana canoe, alternate marshmallows and chocolate pieces (something exotic like hersheys w/ toffee is nice), weapp boat in tin foil with extra foil on ends to use as handles, bury in live fires and/or hot coals, and cook 5-10 minutes. Caution: delicious, but best eaten after dark, with spoon on plate, so you dont burn your lap. Worsethat happens, is you pill out of fire too early, ancd close foil, toll back in!
Old 07-04-2016   #19
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by Jungle Jane View Post
Dictating to dyslexic monkey.
That should be dyxlesic monkey.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #20
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I really like doing a white chicken chili of sorts in our DO. Cook the chicken (seasoned heavily with chili powder, garlic, onion powder, salt and a little pepper) and remove from pan. Sauté some onions, garlic and poblano peppers and when the onions turn translucent, deglaze the pan with a little chicken stock >>really scrape at the pan with a wooden spoon...add a little more chili powder and reduce the mixture by half at least.

I freeze the chicken and roux together in vacuum sealer. 12-20 hours ahead of that meal (or right when I get to camp) I start soaking the dried navy beans in water. Once they've taken up the water, drain...add the frozen pack and some water. Just let it sit near the fire for a few hours and it's done. It's usually a day 2 dinner.

It's light on duty at the campsite and doesn't take much room in the cooler.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote