Mountain Buzz banner

Favorite Continous Class 3 river?

5K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  oarboatman 
#1 ·
There's pool & drop, and there is continuous and everything in between. We all live with and enjoy the challenges presented by obstacles, and hazards - frowning keeper holes, wood hazards, sieves, undercuts, etc, etc. And some higher class stuff that challenges you physically, mentally, and emotionally. But sometimes it's just nice to hit some low consequence shit with big waves - waves that bury you but let you go through, waves that just don't seem to stop and are a lot of fun.

I'm wondering what you favourite low(er) consequence Class 3 run is? Something that is somewhat continuous and fun. Something you don't have to stop to scout so much but just ride the train, so to speak?

I had the fortune of spending a week last year doing a guide training course doing 2-a-days on the Nahatlatch river up in BC a few hours from where I live. With the exception of a couple harder Class rapids at the start (Rose Garden = 3+, and Meat Grinder - 4- to 4), much of the run at medium water levels is pretty continous Class 2+ to 3 with few obstacles. Lots of fun, a A few holes that you have to watch for that seem to be in the middle of a wave train that you learn where they are quite quickly, but generally this section is a lot of fun for rafting.

#2 ·
My favorite continuous class III runs are Numbers (little bit of IV) through Fractions on the Ark @ 700-1200 cfs. Taylor River Canyon at more than 600 cfs..... Eagle River from Tigiwon Road to Edwards (Dowd is IV at higher flows). Stevens Down on the Poudre (bottom of Narrows to BTO, couple IV's possible depending on flow).

If you are more into II+/III- I would suggest the San Miguel near Telluride. Very continuous but not much I would consider solid III.

All are in Colorado.

#3 ·
My favorite class III run is the day stretch on the Salmon River in Idaho, staring at Spring Creek Boat Ramp (16 miles downriver from North Fork) through Cove Creek Boat Ramp. Fun at any level from big water and waves to low water and more technical. The water is warmer than most rivers in ID/WY/CO and you never run into crowds. The 10 miles above this stretch are a nice warm-up of class I-II rapids. Easy access to camping, whether it's in a campground or dispersed.

If you want to get away from crowds and spend a quiet weekend or longer, this is a great stretch.

#5 ·
I don't think it counts as non-consequential, but Joseph Creek in NE Oregon is my fav continuous run. put 1000 cfs in there and its not just bank full but in the trees. class III+ moves in the river, but also in dodging the chokecherries that grow so dense they touch in the middle of the river. made the mistake of going in late april once, and once the trees starting leafing out, you lose 80% downstream visibility. most of the branches are about chin height, so the techniques goes like this: DUCK! time a glance, plan you next three moves, all of which you take without being able to see downstream. glance up early and get whipped in the face...

more conventionally, the upper gorge on the Green River in WA state in my favorite in town day run. 4k cfs is plenty continuous!

#8 ·
Not to many long class 3 stretches where I hail from....especially those without some technical stretches with rocks or a portage"......

Fitting your criteria of fun splashy waves, the following comes to mind..

Millers River from the Depot to Millers Falls. 4.5 miles. Class II-III(IV-) at 1,500-3,100 CFS. Above 3,100 it is II-IV with strainers starting to come into play. You can add 2 miles of class I-II at the beginning and end for a 8.5-9 mile run.

Millers River in Athol. 6 miles Class II-III from 1,600 to minor flood stage.

1.5 miles of upper West River in Vermont. 1,200cfs to 3,000 Class III(IV--). Class IV any higher.

Indian River and Hudson Gorge in New York at 16 miles, 3,500cfs to 12,000cfs (6 to 9 feet). Some mellow areas/pools, and flat water near the end.

#11 ·
The "Down Elk" section of the Elk River in WV above Sutton Dam. Put in at Webster Springs and take out anywhere in the next 10-20 miles. The fishing is excellent if you can catch the right flow and slow the raft down enough.

You wanna hear banjos? This is where you hear banjos...

#15 ·
If you make it down to Colorado (Chaffee/Fremont county). As stated above the Arkansas has some of the best continous class 3 runs in the state. Browns Canyon below 1500cfs is the best, just take out at Hecla Junction. One 3 plus 4 minus below.

Stone bridge all the way to Pinnacle Rock put in is all Class 3 @ 1500 cfs. That's about 45 miles. One class 3+ just below Pinnacle called 3 Rocks. Salt Lick put in just below 3 Rocks rapid then continous 3's for about 8 miles. Take out at Parkdale...unless you want to run the Royal Gorge. Class 4

Good thing about this lower section is Hwy 50 next to the river, so you can scout as you set shuttle. SYOTR

Have fun and be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.