Old 03-26-2013   #21
Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Wanna logistical challenge as well??? Try the SF Flathead from Youngs Crk. Gotta be before ~6/15 or so to get the creek action. Oh yeah that's in MT.

Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #22
C. Springs, Colorado
What your looking for in a family trip is out there if you start checking different guide companies. Here is a good one to start with. I know they will accomidate any size group. Family River Rafting Trips, Fun Kids Vacations in Colorado | Colorado Whitewater Rafting - Arkansas River Rafting - Rafting Trips and Fly Fishing Trips in Colorado

Others might be holiday adventures in Moab, possibly check out White Water Voyages in Cali. You can find them on Google.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #23
Payson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982

How wrong can you really go? Lots of great options out there! One that you might consider is Desolation Canyon on the Green. Moderate water, beautiful, tons of hiking opportunities, and several outfitters that can combine the river trip with backpacking or even horse packing options. Worth a look in my opinion...

Wyomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #24
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Originally Posted by seandaniels View Post
We do need a guide and gear, but we are not really interested in doing something with a group of 24 people. Is that possible?
You should look into the Rogue river in Oregon.Outfitters run small groups but you may have to pay for the full party size.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #25
Director of Operations/ Lost Paddle Rafting Inc., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1776
Whitewater Rafting Colorado

For a guided trip consider the 5 day/ 4 night trip from The Numbers to The Royal Gorge on The Arkansas River. The "Ark" has a decent amount of gradient from beginning to end, with some of the best whitewater anywhere! Lost Paddle Rafting offers this all-inclusive trip. Good way to go for you. As the outfitter we'll do all of the trip planning,cooking, and logistics. Give a call if you have any questions.

Jim Wick
Lost Paddle Rafting Colorado Whitewater Rafting
Royal Gorge Mountain Bike Tours Royal Gorge Mountain Bike Tours
jwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #26
Bozeman, Montucky
Paddling Since: 2009
Just found a discount trip for the Rogue in Oregon on the Clymb. $560 for 4 days isn't terrible as far as I know, but I've never had to pay an outfitter

If you aren't a member here's an invite The Clymb | The Gear You Need. Up to 70% Below Retail.

and the trip here

I'm sure there will be many others in your party, but you could meet some cool peeps. One of the trips is a "brews with views" trip where you get to taste the local poison from Deschutes Brewing.
Katweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #27
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Consider the Animas and the San Miguel rivers near Durango, CO. Several of the companies have multi day trips and lots of other outdoor activities to do. Could also hit the Delores nearby! 3 rivers in one week!
fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #28
ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 1991
Dinosaur National Monument

Check out the Green River Gates of Lodore. Really cool trip anytime of the summer. Great hiking, good beaches, fun rapids. Dinosaur River Expeditions does a really good job and they are the only local outfitter in Dinosaur National Monument.
powski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #29
Missoula, Montana
[QUOTE="Wavewrangler;321799"]We just had a horrible experience with Gil at green river shuttles. DO NOT USE THEM FOR ANY REASON! Our cars were not at the take out and when we called him he said he was 45 minutes out of green river and didn't realize we were going to be there. An hour and a half he shows up at swayzes with 4 rigs that are not ours with 4 obviously tweaked out drivers. He can't figure out who we even are he is so messed up. He starts pacing the ramp and blinking his googly eyes. And reaches into his pocket and asks if this was our key. It was!! He said I've been carrying this around for days wondering who's it was. That's when my blood began to boil our cars were still at sand wash. While he was was trying to figure out what to do he said to my wife and a couple other women on our trip to "get out of my hair you F-ers" and if you back me in a corner I'm going to tell you all to F off. Not a lot we could do. He loaded all our stuff in someone else's rigs and drove us to green river to wait at Rays while figured out what to do. He decided hours later to strand us at the motel 6 while he and his meth buddies ran the shuttle. He wouldn't drive us to sand wash to get our own cars because he wouldn't have to give us a refund because he technically ran the shuttle. At 2 in the morning when he finally got back he said we couldn't wait until we slept to unload all our stuff from someone else's trailer. If you know anyone who ran Deso June 7-13ish and owned a white excursion with Mississippi plates or white Tundra or a white 4runner tell them GIL at Green river shuttles used them to drive another groups stuff piled to the brim! DON'T GET GIL'D in GREEN RIVER with your Deso shuttle. #desolation shuttle
Wavewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #30
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by seandaniels View Post
We do need a guide and gear, but we are not really interested in doing something with a group of 24 people. Is that possible?
Edit: Didn't realize the date on this post, I see it's pretty old, but I will leave my post up for others who are looking for similar trips in the future.

I have a solution for you.

1. You want remote life changing experience with your bro and dad
2. You do not want other people in your group
3. You are capable of handling yourself in the wilderness
4. You need full gear
5. You want exciting rapids, but not to die on the first one.

My advice to you would be a self guided trip through Desolation Canyon on the Green River in Utah.

1. Easy to obtain a private permit ( look for cancelations for Desolation Canyon.
2. River Runner Transport "Self-guided, full support river running and white water rafting adventures: safe shuttle services, full or partial support river trips available, and complete, delicious meals are prepared. Whitewater river trips include: Gate of Lodore, Lower Yampa in Vernal will supply fully loaded rigs for you guys (for a price of course). No need to buy any gear, they can supply everything and do your own shuttle. Talk to Melanie or Ed, tell them the Buzz sent you
3. River is rated an easy 3. I always take newbie rafters on this river to show them the ropes. It's easy enough for kids to run duckies, but big enough for newbies to get butterflies in their stomachs. Get a River Map and a gps and you are good to go.
4. Deso is one of the last few rivers in the US where a 7 days trip is possible without road access... it is true wilderness that most US doesn't see
5. Great hikes through out the canyon. It's a 5 day trip, but can be done in up to 10 days depending on how many layover days you want and how many hikes you want to cover.
6. You can run Deso as a complete rafter newb and survive.

Idaho has better/prettier options for wilderness trips (Main, Lower and MFS of Salmon), but as a newbie you shouldn't enter it on your own and commercial trips will be full groups. Also, on commercial trips you will feel like a tourist and not a rafter. They do everything for you... if it's your kind of thing, then ignore my post.

Other option of Upper Colorado would give you lots of car traffic, most of the Colorado river in Colorado state goes along the freeway... so not much of remoteness sense there. Dolores river is a great adventure, but it never flows anymore. Yampa/Lodore in Utah/Colorado are wonderful choices, but good luck getting a private permit.... the only option is commercials, but again.... do you want to be catered or not? Cataract canyon is only 4 day trip and should not be attempted without a guide. Cataract are the biggest rapids in the United States at high water. San Juan is a great family trip, but hardly any whitewater, one class II+ rapid is about all you get. So Deso is your only choice for a self guided wilderness trip that you can do with your family on your own. Good luck!

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

adventure, help a brother out, inexperienced, rafting, trip planning