Old 12-26-2015   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Eggs in Nalgene

How long have have you kept eggs in a Nalgene before consuming? The Nalgene will be in a cooler with ice.

wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If kept refrigerated, 1 week past the "sell by" date... If hard boiled, about 5 days.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #3
I am not one that gets over concerned about food safety but , Cracked eggs are not a good idea to store apparently. Did research years ago. Take them in an ammo can or similiar in their original packaging or buy them cracked in a commercially packaged carton , similiar to a milk carton.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thank you friends, that is all.
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have seen eggs in the shell last for up to three weeks in the Grand Canyon. They were well padded in rocket boxes. These were part of a food pack by the outfitter. The rocket boxes were pretty square in shape and standard egg cartons fit inside perfectly. Never seen those rocket boxes since.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #6
Fort Collins
I like to crack and freeze mine in ziplocks. I have gone a week+ in a well iced cooler and they seemed fine, though I am no expert. It seems to me as long as they are cool enough, they are good. I also learned to beat them before freezing, or the yokes don't thaw well. Learned that by making a cake, and the yokes never blended in. They sort of fossilized while cooking, absorbing the cake flavor and sweetness, but maintaining their shape, color, and a chewy texture. They tasted good, but were a little weird.
"If I'm not there, it means I'm dead...or late!" General W.R. Monger
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #7
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
IIRC, the flats from the big 5-doz boxes of eggs fit great into milk crates. Last a 4 week GC trip that way. For shorter trips, the 18 packs fit just about perfectly into a 20mm Rocket box and are definitely easier to move to the kitchen than the big flats.

Egg Beaters, or the similar product, are nice, but they have to stay in the cooler and eat up a lot of space there. I'm a big fan of natures original packaging, and shade.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I wipe all the eggs shells with cooking oil before repacking in their original container.
Eggs straight from the chicken have a natural coating that is washed off before sellers package them. The oil will seal the egg shells better to keep bacteria from penetrating through. If you have a source for farm fresh eggs unwashed, they will last a much longer time the store bought. IMHO

Once an egg is out of its shell bacteria starts to become an issue.
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #9
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've taken eggs in a Nalgene bottle for several days but not longer. It's a LOT easier way to bring a dozen eggs along on a trip. Not sure how long they'd last unless frozen. This fall I've been experimenting with freezing scrambles at home so when the hens do the mid-winter slow down laying we'll have plenty of eggs. This seems to work great and would probably be a really good way to way to put in a seal-a-meal, freeze, and then have eggs for breakfast on day 12.

I'd be very interested if anyone has real info on how long eggs will last in a Nalgene if kept on ice.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #10
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
no clue... we vacuum seal them. then freeze. nice flat packages to stick in the bottom of the cooler, stay frozen the whole trip. no problems with that yet.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote