Old 12-27-2015   #11
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
the eggs in a carton are just fine in fact they're pretty good and last a couple weeks if kept cool

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Egg Storage Chart |

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015   #13
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Easiest way in my opinion is to break them into a zip lock, beat them soundly to mix well, and freeze them solidly. You also have the added advantage of another Ice pack (sort of) for the cooler.

I have had them last 2 weeks in this form, never had a reason to push beyond that, cause, you know, we couldn't keep anything frozen longer than that, and had little reason to go longer anyway.

My logic was bringing eggs on a trip is tatamount to challenging the river Gods; like you were daring them to break your carefully packed eggs. But, If I did it myself, the River Gods were appeased.

It is correct that you have to beat the yolks into submission; once frozen they are reluctant to take any other shape or play nice with any other ingredient. Kind of Zombie like for some reason.

The only ones who ever complained were those who expected their eggs sunny side up, or over easy. But, if they couldn't deal with scrambled, then we generally had bigger issues with them than broken eggs. Like, "why the hell is there sand in my beer?", and "what do you mean, I have to blow up my own air mattress?"

Schutzie's advice; break em and freeze em; the river Gods have enough opportunity to fuck with you already.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015   #14
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I guess I'm a guy who doesn't really care for scrambled eggs- I hold them, and instant oatmeal on about the same plane of desirable morning consumables. Even on commercial trips, where I was all for work reduction, I was happy we had real eggs and I could cook my own eggs OE- it's not that hard.

If the river gods want to break something, there are bigger prizes than some weak egg shells. Also, the hubris of thinking we can outrun their wrath by pre-breaking the eggs is kind of asking for it, IMO.

I was brought up on the river being told to leave something free and not rigged to flip. That way if they wanted to take something, they wouldn't have to take the whole damn boat. If you rig too bomb-proof, they'll have to do something baaaaad to be sated.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015   #15
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Just bring a couple of Hens with you on the river.

Fresh eggs every morning!
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015   #16
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Tyrrache View Post
Just bring a couple of Hens with you on the river.

Fresh eggs every morning!
bring two per person, unless you have some sort of magic chicken that lays 6 eggs a day.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #17
If u have anyplace to store them even non refrigerated it is better than breaking them IMO.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #18
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
They will last 2-3 days. Make sure your container size and your egg fluid size are equal so you don't have much air. Also make sure they are fully scrambled/mixed or they will go bad much faster. We use old small Gatorade bottles that hold the exact amount for one breakfast scramble so we don't have to wash and reuse them.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I just eat country ham and potatoes, no refrigeration needed. Both stay good for over a month....scrambled eggs suck imo
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #20
Same thing wis eggs in the shell!!

mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote