Old 12-10-2014   #11
cedar city, Utah
Dirtbag definitely means different things to different people but I was a self-proclaimed "dirtbag" for years and used it in a kind way.

On the other hand....this request is problematic. Its one thing to share costs with other river parties which I think is common enough way to reduce costs. Its an entirely different beast to solicit and pay someone to shuttle your vehicle for a service that is permitted by multiple agencies. Its likely illegal. The alcohol offer also stood out as a bit odd in this particular context.

Maybe just a problem with wording and not intent?

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #12
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I was once a dirt bag ski tech, we traded lots of things for beer, it's the go to currency - that or a bud - for under the table work for dirt bags.

I knew exactly what the OP was asking and what compensation would be: $ and beer. If I were not way to far away I'd think about taking this offer up... why not, take a drive, make some cash, drink a beer... three of my favorite things!

If you don't like to be called a dirt bag, fine. I don't call my self one but don't mind it, especially if it gets me on a little adventure. I get the jokes, but in reality even dirtbags can be good folks that won't drink all the beer while driving someone else's car. Heck I'd bet he'd even take a lawyer!

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #13
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Elk, I have no problem with an old friend calling me a dirtbag. Hell, I might even expect it. However, I felt it was very presumptuous for the OP to do that on his introductory post. Maybe others did too, as no lawyers (or any corrupt AZ politicians) have taken him up on his offer.
GC Guide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #14
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Yeah, I understand - a little rough on the intro... but I thought it got the point across perfectly - an under the radar shuttle for someone looking to make a little extra cash that doesn't mind puttin' one to the man... so to speak.

He did say to call or text if interested so he may have already filled the spot with any manner if ill willed politician/corporate attorney/undercover NPS ranger, pizza delivery guy or banana rocket car pilot.

Edit: I'll have to say, I intended to add something to the "if you don't like being called a dirtbag" sentence, but got drug away by work... So apologies, in theory it would have been funny.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #15
steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

diamond might be a reservation and permit or permission needed. i understand the outlaw thing but it might not be possible on the DL
pablo1652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #16
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Dude go paddle and relax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #17
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
An 11 day Grand trip in the winter? That's retarded.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #18
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Easy money for a dirtbag, GC Shuttle Needed 1/23 - 2/4

This line of post made me laugh so hard!
Some of my comments:

Yep, we all in flagstaff don't care to be called dirt bags. My trailer is mostly off the ground, as I got me some bricks to throw under it. And there ain't no fleas hear neither.

Hey, I probably can't do that shuttle as those driving days might be our 2 best ski days at Snowbowel. Might now be 'bout time to get out those flannel lined camo pants and Duck Dynasty sweatshirt out for the skiing. I hear we got snow coming tomorrow. You just don't never know....

Hey, Lees Ferry is cold. We was up camping there not long ago, and had to tuck into the tent at 6:30, so as not to freeze to death. Hope you alls got lots of warm stuff lined up, like wet suits even. Ha ha, wets suits would be too cold, do dry suits! Seriously!

About the comment that doing this float in 11 days in the winter is retarded....gotta agree. Might as well take no- doz and granola bars for breakfast, granola bars for dinner, and lunch. No time to cook, much less hike or take a photo. All your work will be rowing and trying to not freeze! But, maybe you'all have done this before and are on some sort of purging or ultra marathon type trip.
Try to do at least 16 days, so you'all have time to change your drawers and what not.

Good luck to you all. You can always (pro) hire the job done, and then no need for beer.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #19
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Some of my comments:
You're killing me Smalls! My gut hurts......

I don't even know who you are but, well put!

Flagstaff kicks ass!
GC Guide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #20
Professional Transient, See above.

It is definitely winter time on the buzz!

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote