Old 04-09-2016   #1
San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 1995
early June Rogue trip, 18' boat OK?

we have a permit for a June 8 launch and I am trying to figure out if flows will be enough to get an 18' through. Any intel would be greatly appreciated!

klivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016   #2
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Good to go, except for the part where you get wedged sideways in Mule Creek. Flow will not be a problem in June. I imagine you realize that the Rogue is not a wide open desert SW river but instead is full of rocks to be avoided and tight slots.

Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016   #3
San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 1995
thanks! I was looking at pictures of tight slots and that's why I was getting concerned
klivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
I took my 17' cat down in June a couple of years ago. Boat is pretty wide (88") I think. I didn't think I could get down the fish ladder or the middle sneak route so took the main falls at Rainey. Pretty hard landing at the bottom but no serious problems (hold on!) Everything else went fine
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #5
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Hi Klivings,

Water releases shouldn't be an issue. My last trip down the W & S was in a
16' S-Baler. This was done in June of 2014. Took the fish ladder route at
Rainie Falls. As in most river wilderness areas, cell ph service is almost
non existent. Any side canyon exploration should be done cautiously.
Try to get a guide book titled, "Handbook to the Rogue River Canyon" by
J M Quinn, J W Quinn and James G. King. Try Educational Adventures, Inc.
P.O. Box 9243, Bend, OR 97702 (503) or (541) 388-4272. I got my Hbook over 25 years ago and these phone numbers may not still be valid.
The BLM staff at the take out in 2014 asked us about any bear sightings or encounters and the location. We only saw 3 bears total on two different days. Have a safe trip out West. Watch where you wander around in the dark and where you throw ur bed roll at night...we got somethin out here called pizin oak.
hilo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #6
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
If you know what you are doing you can get an 18er down at most any level--some of the outfitters do. The trick is knowing what you are doing

The Rogue below 2k or so can get very technical. Sure the rapids are no more than class IV and there are only a couple that hard, but there are many, many shallow and tight class II to IIIs that could get you in trouble if you don't have good boat control. If you pack your 18 like a 16 you'll ride higher which will help offset the extra width and length. Take your time and watch out for Wildcat and Upper Black Bar--they cause problems all the time. Pull over and watch a few groups go through Blossom before giving it a go yourself. Have fun.

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote