Old 06-20-2016   #1
Moab, Utah
Eagle River - Edwards to Wolcott RR bridge clearance

Can anyone give me an estimate on the maximum flow at the Avon WWTP gauge that would allow a full DRE-style fishing frame to pass under the RR bridge at Trestle Rapid below Wolcott? I know Lake Creek and some other tribs add water below the Avon gauge as well, so I really hope to have the clearance needed without taking the lean bars off.

It seems like this weekend might be the first chance to float from Edwards to Wolcott with a full fishing frame (with lean bars front and back) - any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I was there on Sat. I talked to a guy who took his oar frame raft down that section and said he had clearance but had to get down a little. Sounded like it would be close with a fishing frame but no need to worry with a regular frame. I saw several fishing frames floating from Walcott down to Eagle.

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I went down yesterday with about 1800 cfs on the water treatment gauge on my 16'cat. My towers and seat are about 32" above waterline. I followed for rafts and saw them all lay flat on their backs or hunch down into the boats. I was afraid my low back seat would hit or get in my way to laying prone so I quickly removed it before entering (it is on a board with four straps over the cooler). I needed to slide into my rowing bay with my hands at my head and the oars level. I don't think I had more than 6" to spare. I wore a helmet and was preparing to let are out of my middle chambers.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #4
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you pull over to the right side there is a bunch of slack water you can use to pass under the bridge without fear of mashing into the bridge rafters.

This is an easy roadside scout, so you can get a measurement before you go.

I don't think it becomes an issue for most boats until it gets up to > 4k on the Gypsum gage.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote