Old 06-04-2015   #1
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Dowd Junction

I live in Minturn and have always wanted to run Dowd in the spring. What's the best flow for a 13' raft? Has anyone ever run it in an oar frame?

JennTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Oar frames a bunch, but mostly paddle boats.

Its running about 2500 cfs now. (for some reason the flow page- American W.- doesnt have the gauge for Avon below Water treatment plant)

Anything over 4 feet on the painted Dowd gauge (used to correlate to 1400 cfs) is good to go. Hardest part is moving right at the Railroad bridge abutment at the bottom of Dowd, entering Kayak Crossing. Thru Kayak Crossing will be a hoot.

FYI 2500cfs is about 5.5 feet on Dowd paint gauge (although i havent been down there this year).

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #3
We run it a lot in 12' cats with oars.
I like anywhere from 650 to 2700, above that and I put in just below Dowd
at a kayak put in (not Kayak Crossing, but immediately below Dowd Chutes). You can scout the Chutes from the railroad tracks, just cross the bike bridge and climb down to tracks and walk downstream.
I would think 2500 would be a bit much for a first time run.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #4
Major changes after high water 2011

I have run the Dowd Chute section commercially for 15 years, and I got a big surprise on a high water trip after peak flow in 2011. Near the bottom of the Chute are a couple new features that have flipped many rafts lately. Anything above 5 feet is pretty tough. Basically a big wave off the right bank has flipped a lot of boats. From about 5-7 feet it seems toughest to me right now. Good Luck.
kieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #5
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dowd junction

I too would like to run it. I'm always driving from Grand Junction to the Ark, and back, looking at that sweet little bit of river. Would be interested in trying it out in a 12' cat if you get a crew together some weekend or weekday evening
willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote